VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a heads up for those of you who dont frequent golfmk7 forums:

I live in Phx, AZ where the summers are hot and temps quickly get over 100 degrees regularly. I noticed that my shift points were changing as the temp rose and found myself doing 45mph with my RPM's hanging at 3k. I thought "why is this thing not shifting like its supposed to!?" I took it in to the local dealer to have them look it over and the service manager took my info down and the issues I was experiencing and sent them over to VW for investigation. It appears there were others who had complained about these symptoms as well.

Today, my SM came back to me with the following:

"I received word from Volkswagen what they told me is the condition is normal. They called it a "Temperature based performance driving profile". When outside temp outside at or about 100 degrees the vehicle is programmed to keep the performance up and changes shifting patterns. That's all I have at this time."

I expressed my concern around this response as this is a DD car for me. Constantly dealing with irregular shift patters, hard shifts, and 3k rpm cruising at 45mph when this occurs doesnt work for me. Looks like I will be reaching out to VWoA to see where this is going to go.

All-in-all, I'm pretty disappointed with this as I didnt expect this type of issue on a 40k car. Other than replacing my waterpump every 20k miles, my 2012 GTI was rock solid.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I think that's good news. At least we know for sure now that it is programmed that way (for a reason, not just to piss you off) and isn't erratic unexpected behavior.

My best guess as to why they would program it that way would be to keep the responsiveness of the engine in a more ideal range because at those temps the IAT's are going to be sky high causing a decrease in power.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
I'd say just put it in manual mode if it bugs you and we know that it's programming rather than a malfunction. They probably have it keep revs up because they know in those conditions you will have the AC working hard and the intercooler will be heatsoaked.

Coming from driving manual transmission cars for 20 years, it doesn't really take much effort to click the paddles and have the car upshift when you want.

·
Registered
620 Posts
If the car wants to hold 5th gear and you leave it in auto mode, I'm guessing it will downshift after you use the paddles when it reverts back to auto mode, which is usually about 10 seconds after you last used the paddles. Just click it over to manual mode, shift for yourself, and leave yourself in control. I use manual mode all the time now and all of my issues I had with the auto modes is gone. It really isn't hard to click the paddles to shift and not deal with being frustrated at the car putting you in the wrong gear all the time. I guess if you are commuting you might be hesitant to shift yourself, as one of the reasons to go DSG is to not worry about shifting for yourself when commuting, but after doing it a couple times I wondered why I didn't go full manual mode sooner.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Just for fun you could blast the heater at 100%......roll the windows down so you don't die. See if the shifting improves.

I live in Texas and it feels hotter than Arizona. Heat soak to the intercooler is not an issue for the conditions this guy is talking about.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I live in Tucson Az and have noticed this this past week. It's been about 103-105 this past week.

It seems 2 and 3 shift late on light accel, even when not getting on the throttle more than 5-10%. Like 3400rpm late and low throttle input.

It also seems to stick or shift hard into first when slowly braking to a stop, making for a jerky stop. I'm going to call and bring it in when I can.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Now that I know it's normal behavior, it's time to go get GIAC's race file :laugh:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This isnt a question of throwing it into manual mode and shifting like a manual car... its an automatic. I purchased it because its an automatic and a DSG like my last GTI. If I wanted a manual, I would have purchased a stick.

I'm a little baffled as to why you would have a "temp performance profile" in D mode when you have an S mode to put all of the performance oriented settings into. When this "temp performance profile" kicks in, it feels like its stuck inbetween D & S mode. I'd love to know if any of the tuners out there ran into this during testing and if their tune corrects this.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I can tell you giac's ecu tune doesn't correct it. If anything I think it would be a TCU tune not an ecu tune that would change it. I plan to let GIAC know about it so that they consider it in their development of their DSG tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
I posted a similar question in another forum. I live in Avondale, suburb of PHX, and since summer has set in ... my shift pattern is so off. I pull into my neighborhood at 27 MPH pulling 3,800 RPM's and it won't downshift. My downshifts are harder and I just hold RPM's so much more. My gas mileage has went from 26 to 22 due to this. I am about to hit 5k miles and after the amount of issues I had with my '11 GTI ... this will not happen again.

On my '11 GTI autobahn (always stock), I had 2 injectors, a fuelpump, 4x waterpumps, fuel line, fuel gate, moonroof motor, and 2 window motors replaced. On top of this, it failed to start about 40% of the time on the 1st try. Would just keep cranking or turn over and die. On the 2nd try the push of the button always worked.

The starting issue started at roughly 20k miles and lasted to the trade in at 80k. Every oil change and repair I tried to get this issue resolved to no avail. Every trip was "we could not repeat the issue".

When I traded it in on my .:R, they started it as part of the assessment and it died on start. The dealer asked me if I knew my car has mechanical issues ... I laughed. Since I have brought it in for over 60k miles for the same issue to the same dealer. The sales guy said, "This is that car?"

While the dealer gave me fair KBB trade-in valure for it. I asked what they would do for it next ... they said it would be lemon'd. I had to deal with the issue for this long and the dealer lemon'd it ...

Long story short brought on by odd shifting in my R .. calling VW on any issue. Forget the dealers.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I wonder if this programming could be in place for the protection of the motor. If you were lugging it at 1500 rpm with ~150 degree IAT's and decided to floor it that would put a lot of load on the motor and be a good recipe for detonation.

I'm sure VW had a good reason for making it behave the way it does. Asking them to simply change it without knowing why they did it in the first place would be silly.

Does the above theory make sense to anyone else or am I just flapping my piehole?

·
Registered
241 Posts
It's true...

I have owned several GTI's & 2 Audi's w/ DSG. All of these cars exhibited some level of different of DSG shifting patterns in hot ambient temps. Here in the Dallas/Ft Worth area we have heat + humidity. My GTI MK6 has an APR IC which pretty much mitigates heat soak & my new MK7 R fares very well as well. However the DSG lag in upshifts is there when the heat ramps up. No doubt. Likely one of several layers of protective engineering built in the cars. I just compensate w/ throttle & manual shifting. No big deal to me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This. DSG sucks in D or S the only way it drives properly is in manual mode. Whoever thinks or thought that DSG is a good 'automatic' transmission is sorely mistaken.
Huh!?... I actually love the DSG in auto mode. Its so much smoother than a slush box, but its really easy to tell once your shift points change. I probably wont ever go back to a non-DSG tranny, but my expectations are fairly high on a 40k car. I rarely use manual mode on mine.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.