VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, everyone who has a mkIII 2.0 has either dealt with or will very shortly , the exhaust heat shield rattle...
Whats the part number for the upper heat shield on the exhaust maniold. The rattle is driving me insane, but i dont want to run without it...

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Re: heat shield p/n (veedublvr)

You can fix it yourself. Just go to the hardware store and pick up some large washers. This will help compensate for any breaks that occur around the mounting points. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: heat shield p/n (Glenn J)

Ive got one of the points that has broken, and ive used the washers to fix that. Ive got splits in the metal that arent anywhere near the mounts, and when the engine reaches aroudn 3200 the cracks vibrate..

·
Registered
668 Posts

why not run without it? i pulled mine off when i pulled the head off and threw the damn thing in the trash can. it was broken at one of the mounting points and had a crack in the middle so i said screw it, no problems since then...

·
Registered
2,818 Posts

You could always try riveting it or using a little liquid duct tape...AKA "JB Weld".

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: heat shield p/n (Glenn J)

I pulled it yesterday afternoon...All of the mounting tabs were broken except for one... one of the brackets that hold the shield to the manifold were broken as well (no amount of JB weld woulda held that critter on) . Took a test drive around the block and it was music to my ears..no friggin rattles... oh well off to the dealership monday to get a new one.. will find the p/n there i guess

·
Registered
11,705 Posts

honestly don't waste your money.
I've done the MK4 manifold swap on my MK3 which locates hoses MUCH closer to the manifold and I've never had any issues thus far.

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Re: heat shield p/n (Pagano)

The only side effect I've ever come across in having mine removed (4+ yrs), was "melting" my throttle cable. Easy to replace, and it only costs ~$25 for the part. IMO, well worth it for my sanity..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts