VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heated steering wheel

I've done some searching for this, but have not found anything. Has anyone retrofitted the heated steering wheel to the mK7 Golf/GTI?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm currently in the process f retrofitting a heated steering wheel on my 2015 TDI and would like to know if it has been done before. If yes what was needed other than the wheel itself and the clockspring. i'm pretty sure there will be some coding to do as well but if anyone can give me some help with all of this that would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
211 Posts
i'm actually in the process of doing this so i will let you guys know what needs to be done
Any progress on this install? Would love to see a how to, and some instructions!

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
in order to retrofit heated steering wheel you need have SEL trim level (Highline in Canada) with electronic HVAC system or if you have electronic push start button added as option on lower trims if it was offered you migth have electronic HVAC . and this works only on non GTI/R steering wheel

What you need if you have Electronic HVAC system
1) heated steering wheel (5g0419091AD)
2) steering clock spring that has extra plug for heated steering wiring (5q0953549b)
3) wiring from the steering to HVAC and to BCM
4) you need the new electronic HVAC unit that has additional heated steering button and has additional pins in plug (5g1907044d)

If you have SE or S or Comfortline or trendline trims this will only works if you have installed as option HVAC system which was tied to push start button

Cost : around ~1000 if not more depends where you source from

·
Registered
438 Posts
yeah....i'll just buy gloves instead of spending $1000. the wheel eventually warms up anyway.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
in order to retrofit heated steering wheel you need have SEL trim level (Highline in Canada) with electronic HVAC system or if you have electronic push start button added as option on lower trims if it was offered you migth have electronic HVAC . and this works only on non GTI/R steering wheel

What you need if you have Electronic HVAC system
1) heated steering wheel (5g0419091AD)
2) steering clock spring that has extra plug for heated steering wiring (5q0953549b)
3) wiring from the steering to HVAC and to BCM
4) you need the new electronic HVAC unit that has additional heated steering button and has additional pins in plug (5g1907044d)

If you have SE or S or Comfortline or trendline trims this will only works if you have installed as option HVAC system which was tied to push start button

Cost : around ~1000 if not more depends where you source from
Damn.. kills it for me. Thanks for posting the information.

·
Registered
211 Posts
That is great information! Does anyone know if it would be possible to just use a heated wheel and clock spring with a manual switch to activate the heat? That would avoid a lot of the other retrofitting...

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
That is great information! Does anyone know if it would be possible to just use a heated wheel and clock spring with a manual switch to activate the heat? That would avoid a lot of the other retrofitting...
I looked into that if I can re-trofit into 2015 I have that doesn't have Electronic HVAC, if there is a small circuit board inside steering wheel that heating wires are attached to and the main two-wire coming out from it to connect to clock spring, if there is then there is chance you can do that, but if not then it is control through HVAC system , my past Audi I had heated steering wheel and remember that inside steering wheel there was a circuit board that had attached heated wires from the steering wheel and attached two power wires where coming out through clock spring and wired to front seat switch, if VW did the same thing then alternative switch method should work just to control the power, if that was that easy it would of been done by now, something tells me that either controls are in HVAC unit or there is a communication needed somewhere

·
Registered
137 Posts
regular golf only none GTI/R steering wheel
What's the difference between the two steering wheels? I'd like to have heated steering wheel on my 2018 GTI as well. I find it weird how a GTI with Autobahn doesn't come with heated steering wheel... Especially in Canada!

1 - 20 of 121 Posts