VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all excuse my ignorance..I'm new to the A1 world.
I have an 81 Caddy I just bought, the heater fan blower does not work. I checked fuses etc..nothing blown. What is the best way to trouble shoot this?
Thanks
BTW here's a pic of my new project:

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Re: Heater blower question (Supercharged VR6)

What you could do is pop the hood and see if anything has jamed up that exposed to the elements fan, maybe some leaves or bugs and such........if not you could run a jumper to the fan to see if the fan works, if it does not i would say that the fan is toast......i've heard of bad switches but those were always in the a2 golfs.........good luck.

[Modified by DURELL, 5:16 AM 11-27-2001]

·
Registered
73 Posts

I had the same problem in my A1 Jetta... It turned out to be the motor itself, which i took off my donor car and took about 30 mins to replace... then my switch was screwed up, it only worked on two notches. So i replaced that, and then that switch blew, so now I'm back to the original...
The point is, it could be either the motor or the switch, or leaves, etc. I diagnosed by checking for voltage at the motor when the switch is turned on... if it receives voltage then the switch is fine, and the motor needs to be replaced...

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Re: Heater blower question (biggychase)

Did you have to pull the entire heatercore and heater box to test the motor?
I am having the same issues on my 80 Rabbit and I just replaced the ballast resist wire to see if that would help and no go.
Thanks for any help you could send this direction.
Peace

·
Registered
73 Posts
Re: Heater blower question (80rabbitc)

to test my blower motor, i only had to remove the plastic casing that protects the motor from leaves, etc... and then you can test it from there, unless your 80 is different from my 84 jetta?

·
Registered
12,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Ok guys I got it figured out, the blower motor is locked up so it's time for a new one. What is the easiest way to remove and replace the blower motor?
Thanks again

·
Registered
73 Posts

remove the casing that is around it, which you've probably already done. Remove the other two screws to loosen the blower fan. Disconnect the wires and coil thing at the front from the metal clamp it is attached to (bend it away and out from these). Make sure you remeber which wire goes where on the blower. Pull the motor out (this will take a while, as you will have to twist it and move it around so that it will get out from in between the hole and the wiper assembly, just try a whole bunch of different angles, etc, and remember how you got it out, so it will be easier to put the new one in.)
Slide the motor to the left side of the car, and pul it out of the opening at the end. Put in the new one in the same place, on the right angle, as it will be hard to move it around once it is in there. Slide it over and into the hole. Put the wires and coil back on (the new motor should have the metal bracket for the coil). Test it. Put the rest back together.)
That's it. Anymore quesions just let me know, I'll be around for another 30 minutes.

·
Registered
12,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Ok guys..got it figured out, there was a small piece of wood stuck in the blower causing it to be locked up (don't ask me how that happened). I also found that removing the wiper linkage makes things much easier to remove the blower motor. Now on to the next problem.. Sometimes the blower does not work then mysteriously it will come on again...do you guys think the switch is toast?

·
Registered
128 Posts
. . . switch could definitely be flakey. Take it completely apart, clean all the contacts and bend them inwards a little bit to improve contact between the copper surfaces. Also, i have experienced problems with the multiplug which attached to the back of the fuse box. Turns out the single little prong and socket for the fan was arcing slightly which eventually charred the contact. Trace the postive wire for the blower (black and red on my rabbit) to the correct multiplug on the the back of the fusebox, pull it out and inspect for blackness. If you do find a problem clean it up. Solved my intermittent fan problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.