VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have had your heater core go out like mine, please file a complaint here: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
Alright, so yesterday morning I was heading home from Breck (east on I-70 in the rockies),when my heater core blew. There was no warning smell or anything. Thick white steam came out the vents really quickly, and boiling coolant poured out on my feet. I was doing about 55, and while choking and struggling to see through the cloud, I tried to pull over and stop, but it was hard to push the brake with boiling fluid pouring on my feet. Even though it hurt, I had to get the car stopped, so I pulled onto the shoulder and came to a stop as fast as I could, then yelled to my girlfriend to get out of the car. At first I thought the car was on fire, until I felt the coolant on my feet.
Before even calling the tow truck or anything, I called VWOA. I asked if there was a recall on heater cores, and they said there was nothing. Funny thing is, when I called less than a year ago about recalls, they mentioned something about the heater core.
So I told them what heppened (coolant on my feet, hot choking vapor in my face, almost crashing.... ( I could have driven off the edge of the highway and rolled down the steep hill). They put me on hold, and came back and told me that if it is indeed the heater core, they would pay for it.
I towed the car to the dealership, and they left me a voicemail last night saying that it is the heater core, and they just have to call VW in the morning to get an authorization to fix it.
So this morning I called the dealership to see what was going on, and they said that VW is going to send an inspector out, and that they were going to supply me with a rental car. I then called VW, and told them that an inspection was not necessary, as they said that if it was the core, they would pay to have it fixed, and I do not have time to wait because I have to get back to Michigan.
So now I wait for a call back from VW.
What really gets me is the fact that VW has not recalled the heater cores in the MK3's. When mine went out it was a very dangerous situation. I was in traffic on a mountain road, and I could have easily crashed. I could not see a thing, even though all of my windows ( that work) were down, and my sunroof was open.
Discuss.
Oh yeah, I can still taste the coolant, and my car smells really bad inside.

Modified by [email protected] at 1:36 PM 6-21-2005

Modified by [email protected] at 5:11 PM 6-21-2005

Modified by [email protected] at 5:12 PM 6-21-2005

·
Banned
24,412 Posts
Re: Heater core blew... stuck in Denver. :( (OnelowcabriO)

yup, your exactly right dave, the whole cabin filled up with what would appear to be smoke, but its really is coolant vapor, i could imagine how nerve racking it could be when on a highway
that would explain why you arent on aim or anything, what are you doing in denver?

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Re: Heater core blew... stuck in Denver. :( (ThatGuy)

so if we take our cars to a dealership and tell them to replace the heater core their obligated to do it or do we have to wait until it busts and we have coolant all everywhere

Modified by mk3ofdoom at 6:57 PM 6-21-2005

·
Banned
24,412 Posts
Re: Heater core blew... stuck in Denver. :( (mk3ofdoom)

Quote, originally posted by mk3ofdoom »
so if we take our cars to a dealership and tell them to replace the heater core their obligated to do it or do we have to wait until it busts and we have coolant all everywhere

have to wait till it busts, stupid IMO but i'm glad ur ok Dave

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Re: Heater core blew... stuck in Denver. :( ([email protected])

Quote, originally posted by [email protected] »
Since it has not been recalled, they are not obligated.

unfortantly that the case. until (knock on wood) more cases happen like this and people just flip out. They wont and will not make a recall. Since most of our cars are almost 10 years as it is i dont see that happening.
Good luck Dave.
i know you need that.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Re: Heater core blew... stuck in Denver. :( ([email protected])

Yeah there has never been any recalls for heater cores on MK3's......I am guessing your car is out of warranty by mileage and time, I am suprised VW is actually sending an inspector out to check it out.
What year is your VR? Green coolant is correct if it is 1997 and below....red coolant is for 1998 and above.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: Heater core blew... stuck in Denver. :( (Jackson_VR6)

Quote, originally posted by Jackson_VR6 »
Yeah there has never been any recalls for heater cores on MK3's......I am guessing your car is out of warranty by mileage and time, I am suprised VW is actually sending an inspector out to check it out.
What year is your VR? Green coolant is correct if it is 1997 and below....red coolant is for 1998 and above.

The car is a 1995. It doesn't matter that the car is out of warranty. Any part of the car that can break and put a passanger in danger should be replaced,... especially if it is a common and known problem.
VW knows it is a problem...
Just like the window regulators... they will replace 1997 and newer regs, but not the 1993-1996, even though they are the same defective parts. Rediculous.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.