VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the heater core on my 81 convertable. I heard that there are "tricks" to doing this where you do not have to drop the whole heater unit assembly. Please give me some tips so when i go to do this i am prepared. Also has anyone ever bought parts from http://www.carpartstogo.com/ ? They seem real reasonable in prices which makes me wonder if their service is good. Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Re: Heater Core Info wanted (Rabbitt)

Well, If your car doesn't have air conditioning, it's a snap. I'm not sure with a.c. though...
If no ac, look up under the drivers side (dash)
You may need to remove some panels and vent pipe....
You will see a plastick cover (about 3inches by 7 inches) this will just pop off. Don't break the clips
The heater core is right in there. remove the clamps and hoses and slid it right out
Have fun
PS. don't forget to drain the coolent first

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Re: Heater Core Info wanted (Rabbitt)

Hmmm,
I just went through this not more than 2 weeks ago.
with a 81 heater core going into a 84 cabby which had a/c.
The procedure is easy but very timeconsuming...
1. Drain your coolant
2. Disconnect the 2 hoses by the brake vacuum booster which go to the heater control and return line.
3. Remove dash, kneebar, and center console.
4. Disconnect the electrical connectors on the drivers side of the heater core.
5. Unbolt the bolts in the wash tray under the hood where you see the blower fan.
6. Use a little force to dislodge the heater core. By force I mean back and forth nudging.
7. replace in reverse order.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I saw the access cover and took it off a few weeks ago but it looked like the pedel cluster is in the way for me to pull it out that way. I will look again. This has to be the way my car is paying me back for not driving it all winter
. Thanks for the tips. By the way the car has no AC which i am thankful for because it sounds like a big pain with AC. Thanks

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Re: Heater Core Info wanted (Big CADDY)

quote:[HR][/HR]Push the pedals in while you slide the core out. If you can access the core from the side through the cover, you don't need to remove your dash or knee bar.[HR][/HR]​
I have never been able to remove one without removing the dash and kneebar. Besides it makes alot less of a headache to get it out.

·
Registered
10,650 Posts
Re: Heater Core Info wanted (A1speedracer)

I have never had to remove the dash except in a A2
You could also try to loosen the entire heater box from the rain tray to drop it down to help access the core. But, like I said, I have always been able to get it out without doing anything special except for move the pedals.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.