VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need help please the stealership wants 900 dollars for labor to replace my heater core and i dont want to pay it anybody know how its a 94 passat glx... any help would be appreciated... thanx

·
Registered
856 Posts
Unfortunately, this job will take about 10 hours of labor for a dealership tech to do. The actual part is less than $75.
Both '93 Passat's in my family have had the heater cores replaced (by two different dealerships), and the price for each came to within a few percent of the other.
The reason it takes so long to do the replacement is that the entire dashboard needs to be disassembled and removed from the car in order to get to where the heater core is located. I would recommend attempting this only if you are extremely confident in your mechanical ability and have the time to take your car off the road for a few days (not that it isn't already off the road...).

quote:[HR][/HR]Originally posted by gacglx:

need help please the stealership wants 900 dollars for labor to replace my heater core and i dont want to pay it anybody know how its a 94 passat glx... any help would be appreciated... thanx
[HR][/HR]​

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Start up a case with VW and make sure to let them know you know that it is a liability issue due to past cases of people getting burned by coolant and that other VWs of the same era used the same unit/mechanics and the Fox and Corrado have official recalls issued.
1-800-VWUS

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just got nailed with same problem. The only alternative I can suggest is use a reputable independent VW repair shop. The dealer quoted me almost $1K for mine and I got the job done for $700 (including the $78 evaluation charge from the dealer). Also, my repair shop gave me a free loaner.
This seems to be a fairly common problem. Anyone have any luck getting the repair covered by VW? I still have the old core and you can see where it failed. It looks like the entire assembly is pressed together and crimped. Mine failed right on the crimp and that just seems to be a poor design.
Just my two coins...
Greg
[This message has been edited by GLXINMI (edited 08-02-2001).]

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hey, Guy
You could buy a Bentley Manual for your car and take your time and do it.
Or you could check with Francis at Motortecnik in MD or NGP in MD Francis is closer to Virginia.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
HELLO?!?!?! Or you could have it done for FREE by a dealership. I had my car back from time of failure in 4 days. Do people read these messages?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Re: (Syncronicity)

I'd file a complaint with VW before forking out any hard earn cash. Its a failure that should have been recalled. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif They even recalled the ones from the Golf/Jetta II for similar problems a few years ago...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: (gacglx)

yeah i called the vw techs and they said they wouldnt replace mine cause it isnt a recall which i think is wrong but anyways i bypassed it to get it pressure checked and i drove it and it got hot again and its at the shop now getting trouble shooted and it has an aweful miss too since the last time it got hot i am goin to replace the heater core myself i found one from advance auto parts for $60 (not too bad) i should know something with in a hour or so..... i'll keep u posted

·
Registered
856 Posts

Well, bully for you if you got it done for free, but if there was no recall issued, VWoA is under no obligation to repair your car at no charge. Unfortunately, this is one of VW's greatest failings in the customer service department; several issues just like this have cropped up over the years--I distinctly remember some protracted threads in the B5 forum over the recall that was issued for the Audi A4 front suspension that did not carry over to the B5, which uses the same exact part.
It's a good thing VW makes such good cars, problems and all, because if they didn't, I certainly would not buy from a company that treats their customers this way. As a B3 owner, I feel particularly slighted in that I supported VWoA during their darkest moments.
BTW, my heater core was replaced in 48 hours (including parts ordering) by Princeton VW/Audi--oddly enough, the failure occured in their parking lot while I was attempting to locate a new Jetta for my girl on a Sunday afternoon last July (at least I didn't need a tow). The only problem I ran into was that the heater box failed due to the hot coolant (a $400 plastic box). This wasn't discovered until after the car was put back together, and Princeton graciously declined to charge me additional labor for the replacement.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Re: (amper)

I know that many Corrado owners who have not been covered by recall have also had this covered by VWoA. Do not talk just to your dealer. You need to call VW of America.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

yeah i did i started up a case and the dealer said mine wasnt on the recall list for heater cores

·
Registered
78 Posts

My heater core went out and it was under some sort of recall I guess. You should see if you can con the dealership into doing it for free.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts

what you need to do is when you call VWoA, tell them you and your girlfriend got the poop burned out of you... cuz when those things go, they dump HOT coolant on your feet. TRUST ME, this works, my friend just did it!!

·
Registered
856 Posts
Re: (westy66)

Fortunately, I managed not to get my feet burned, but I think my mom did (not badly, thankfully). I just got a suntan...
I was checking out new cars on Princeton VW's lot on a hot Sunday afternoon in July, and when I got back into my Passat and started the engine, I detected the distinct smell of coolant (which I recognized immediately due to the several cooling system problems I've had in the past). As I pulled out of my parking space, I noticed a *huge* puddle on the ground where my car had been parked.
I got out, put the drivers side floormat on the ground to save my knees, and looked under the car to see coolant pouring out from near the exhaust pipe.
"Hmm..," I said to myself, "there aren't any coolant lines back there, are there?"
So I popped the hood to take a look, but I couldn't see where the coolant was leaking from.
"Well, it's a good thing I'm in the parking lot of a VW/Audi dealership," I thought as I went to replace the floormat so I could pull back into the parking spot, "at least I can get my car fixed up here tomorrow without having to pay for a tow."
That was when I noticed the coolant in the footwell. Remembering that my mother's Passat had had the same problem only two months before, it wasn't too hard to figure out what was going on, and I'd seen the bill for the repair work.
"Bollocks!" I exclaimed, "this is going to cost me a pretty penny!"
Of course this all had to happen just as I was thinking about trading in the damned beast. Oh, well--easy come, easy go. Unfortunately for me, there was no shade in the lot, so I ended up sitting in direct sun for three hours until I could contact my girlfriend and she could pick me up; she was still returning from a Long Beach Island weekend with friends and didn't have a portable telephone.
There was a gas station and convenience store a half mile up the road, but I only had enough money in my toll change bin for one quart of Gatorade, which didn't last long. At least I could contemplate in frustration the ironic similarity of color between Gatorade and G11 coolant while my brains baked.
There's nothing like sitting in the sun for a few hours on a 95 degree day with no shade, no ride, and nothing to drink, especially when no one knows where you are.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Re: (amper)

DUDE, that is a terrible story, im sorry. definately call VWoA and tell them about you and your mom and the coolant!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Re: (westy66)

It happened to me in my B4 my kid got coolant on his feet and the windows foged up while on the Turnpike at high speed.VOA treated me very nice(I wonder why)
they fixed every thing for free!
HT WTR B4

·
Registered
951 Posts
Re: (HT WTR)

Well, it finally happened to my '92 Passat. The car has 128K on the clock. What are the changes of getting VW to
pay for the repair? Is this really a silent recall? I know my dealer's response is usually "I've never heard of that".
Thanks,
Glenn

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Re: (gstrouse)

Yes it is; they don't have it listed in the TSBs for dealerships. You will need to call VWNA and give them your service manager's name and number at the dealership. Tell them that coolant started dumping out while you were driving and got in the car and you didn't know what the heck was going on and pulled over. Or whatever your story/situation was.... they require it to be inspected by the dealership, but after that it should be covered. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 26 Posts