VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK
This is a little hard to explain but i'll try my best.
I'm going to take out the raintray but I was wondering, Do I want to take out the airbox as well and have no air vents? Would I still have a heater? What will I do? HELP!!!
My original idea was to keep a sort of sealed bubble seperate from the engine compartment and have a small air duct made from intercooler piping running to the driver's side front wing and pipe in fresh air through transporter style vents (which would also aid a CAI located at that side). This cold air would feed the airbox only with nice fresh air from outside the engine bay, so no heat, dust, or fumes.
Now I'm thinking, Do I need all this extra welding and effort? If i want fresh air i can open a window. What about the heater? Can someone explain ways around this and maybe the best way to go about solving the problem. And I'm doing a full restoration, rebuild and engine swap so I'm trying to keep with clean styling, a little innovation, and weight reduction where it's easily available to do so.
You can add your own choices to the list on the poll.
Any ideas or help would be great.
Thanks
Baz

·
Registered
20,821 Posts
my truck has no raintray, but i still want to keep a heater.
my original plan was to keep the heater but not have a fresh air vent, i want to have the heater just re-circulate cabin air. if i want fresh air i can open the vent windows.
i dont know how well this will work, but i think its worth a try!
you could also hook up your heater box to the hood vents, just make sure you have a very good drain or you dont go out when its raining.
-j

Modified by Muffler Bearing at 7:31 AM 10-30-2006

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: (Muffler Bearing)

Quote, originally posted by Muffler Bearing »
my truck has no raintray, but i still want to keep a heater.
my original plan was to keep the heater but not have a fresh air vent, i want to have the heater just re-circulate cabin air. if i want fresh air i can open the vent windows.
i dont know how well this will work, but i think its worth a try!
you could also hook up your heater box to the hood vents, just make sure you have a very good drain or you dont go out when its raining.
-j

Modified by Muffler Bearing at 7:31 AM 10-30-2006

Thanks
I'll have a look at the possiblility of doing this. Loads more help here I see

·
Registered
14,303 Posts
Re: Heater or no heater???? Airbox/Raintray dilemma (Bazmcc)

You can remove the "rain tray" but if you want any heater/defrost "forced air" ventilation, you will need to keep the blower fan assembly on the firewall shelf behind the old rain tray.
I would suspect in Ireland that you would want heat and defrost capabilities??
Consequently you will need a "cover box" over the blower fan assembly with some type of external fresh air inlet to the cover box. Otherwise the blower fan will draw heat/fumes from the engine compartment.
Cheers, WWR.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Heater or no heater???? Airbox/Raintray dilemma (WackyWabbitRacer)

Quote, originally posted by WackyWabbitRacer »
You can remove the "rain tray" but if you want any heater/defrost "forced air" ventilation, you will need to keep the blower fan assembly on the firewall shelf behind the old rain tray.
I would suspect in Ireland that you would want heat and defrost capabilities??
Consequently you will need a "cover box" over the blower fan assembly with some type of external fresh air inlet to the cover box. Otherwise the blower fan will draw heat/fumes from the engine compartment.
Cheers, WWR.

Thanks
I'm thinking that even though keeping it is more work without a rain tray, it might be a good idea just for the winter if nothing else.
I would ideally like to have a box fabbed up in the rain tray shelf part and a pipe going to small vents on the front wing or even coming in beside the headlight through a pipe. Looks like I need a bigger drawing board to get back to.
Baz

1 - 5 of 5 Posts