VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
7,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are those cars out there that while they were in production were way behind the times? Those throwbacks to eras bygone, whether by use of the technology they employed, or their mere purpose in life.
I give you two: the Caterham Seven and the Morgan

While they've both made big strides recently in using more modern materials, for most of their existence these two marques have steadfastly resisted the urge to apply the latest-and-greatest technology to their tried-and-true approach to car manufacture. I am personally a huge fan of this philosophy - evolution over revolution more often results in the perfection of a concept. When cars have had decades of refinement, it is hard to lose your way. See the example of the vehicles mentioned above, the original Beetle, the typ 911 Porsche 911, and others.
Though even with these marques their foundations have been shaken, recently. Both have started employing more modern materials in their construction, new models in the lineup, more modern engines, more sophisticated suspensions, etc - the purpose behind the cars remains a throwback to "simpler" times.

· Registered
17,516 Posts
I wouldn't say that Caterham's use of carbon fiber, modern engines (and, the Lotus/Caterham 7 has always had modern 4-cyl engines for its time,) and traction control ruins the car.
In fact, sticking with steel when more modern, lighter materials were available actually flew in the face of Colin Chapman's philosophy - to add performance, add lightness. Lotus was never afraid to use more technology to solve a problem, as long as that technology didn't add weight - and when the technology REDUCES weight, they were on that like flies on ****.
As for the Morgan... yeah, that's another story.
But, how about the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Grand Marquis, and Lincoln Town Car?

· Registered
7,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (bhtooefr)

Ah yes - the Panther platform. I am actually trying to find one right now...

This car was old-school engineering in its best mass-produced incarnation. A large body-on-frame American sedan with a V8, RWD, and even bench seats! Sounds like my '68 Caddy - and not a bad recipe for a robust daily driver. I just so happen to be searching for a civilian model...

· Registered
7,998 Posts
Re: (trev0006vw)

The Ford Model T was introduced in 1908, but continued to be produced until 1927, long after other car companies had begun building more complex, "modern" cars. Henry Ford thought that the T was all the car anyone would ever need, and heck, they kept selling.
By 1914 they had refined the production process enough that it only took an hour and a half to build each one. There were running changes though, incorporating such changes as electric lights and, for 1911, opening doors. They also made alternate body styles, including truck bodies - and in 1915 Ford introduced the first closed, i.e. enclosed cab, Ts.

Also, Morgan may have honed their design, but if you look beneath the sheetmetal, they sure haven't honed their woodworking skills :barf:

Modified by Juniper Monkeys at 11:36 PM 8-3-2008

· Premium Member
27,591 Posts
Re: (Juniper Monkeys)

Quote, originally posted by Juniper Monkeys »
Also, Morgan may have honed their design, but if you look beneath the sheetmetal, they sure haven't honed their woodworking skills :barf:

Zing!

· Registered
11,798 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Bah Humbug)

Quote, originally posted by Bah Humbug »

Not hating, not even close, but prior to the current generation and its V6, didn't the Wrangler have a lot of old-tech parts just because they were so durable and suitable? Even apart from the 4.0L.

The suspension got an update in 1997 to coil springs, allowed for greater travel and a better ride. But other than that, the main geometry has stayed the same. Its not very complex, but it is very, very capable for a stock vehicle off the beaten path.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.