VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
9,483 Posts
i do it when necessary, everybody who wants to drive both smoothly and quickily needs to do heel toe for sure. i've found that the mKIV stock pedals are pretty hard to heel toe on so i had cheapo "levoc" rice pedals only on the gas, TT pedals on all the others, and it helps a bunch

and there's no wonder why there shoes (camper)are my driving shoes of choice, just look at the width of the sole

· Registered
2,875 Posts
Re: (BananaCo)

i used to heel-toe all the time in my mk4. infact i tought myself to heel-toe and double clutch in that car. the horrible drive by wire lag gave me fits learning but i had it down after a little bit. then i went to the 240sx and it took a little adjusting (ok, alot of adjusting) to get used to throttle response.
i did it with stock pedals, but i do have big feet (size 12 or 13 depending on the shoe), and wear globes most of the time. i also dont use the actual heel of my foot, but the side of the foot insted. so insted of a |\| motion i use a |O| motion (haha, the O is supposed to represent that my foot is contacting both pedals with about the middle of my foot, using the left side to keep constant pressure on the brake pedal, while modulating the gas with the right side)

Modified by nmap at 12:24 AM 1-8-2004

· Registered
35,288 Posts
Re: Heel Toe (kroonspeed)

i heel-toe in every car i drive, unless it's a slushbox dog-o-matic of course

it's almost a total requirement for smooth winter driving.
obin

· Premium Member
1991 Civic Si
11,846 Posts

I do it in all my cars, but each new one takes some getting used to. haven't quite gotten used to the 924 yet. and snow isn't making it any easier.

· Registered
10,107 Posts
Re: Heel Toe (MGQ)

I do it all the time, except I sorta cheat. I use the ball of my foot for the brake and the side of my foot directly opposite that (on the right outside) for the gas. Not exactly heel toe-ing, but it works. I guess some people's feet might not be wide enough for this, or some might say it isn't as safe because you might slip off the brake when you don't want to. Oh well.

· Registered
9,442 Posts
Re: Heel Toe (Triumph)

Quote, originally posted by Triumph »
I do it all the time, except I sorta cheat. I use the ball of my foot for the brake and the side of my foot directly opposite that (on the right outside) for the gas. Not exactly heel toe-ing, but it works. I guess some people's feet might not be wide enough for this, or some might say it isn't as safe because you might slip off the brake when you don't want to. Oh well.

I do this also. I've got size 12 EEE feet.

· Registered
4,899 Posts

I guess this isn't considered TRUE heel-toeing by a lot of people, but it produces the exact same effect, and if it works, use it!! This happens to be the method I use, and I feel very comfortable with it, as I have wide feet.
I get some laughs at the racetrack, cause I wear my everyday sneakers with the firesuit, instead of "correct" racing shoes. My first time out at Pocono Speedaway, I wore the racing shoes, which were too narrow for me to heel-toe. I finished the session, and changed to my regular sneakers - -my lap times improved DRASTICALLY!!
(probably better than they would have if i had just added an extra 30hp to the car)

· Registered
10,107 Posts
Re: Heel Toe (rx7racr)

yeah, i got wide feet also. i just don't feel comfortable with cocking my right foot at that odd angle to hit the gas with my heel. plus i don't like lifting my foot completely off the floor. plus i can "heel-toe" with all of my shoes, not just racing shoes!

· Registered
MTA F Train
5,865 Posts

i do this too. and here i thought i was a freak. i actually learned to do this on my old wrangler, which would stall sometimes in the cold if you didnt always keep on the gas. now i do it quite often

· Registered
4,722 Posts

i dunno about anyone else but in my mk3, if i use my toes for the brake and my heel for the gas i cant really angle my foot enough....to me it seems the brake is way too high up and my gas is too far down(using RAZO silver race pedals/gift from my brother)...so i use my heel for brake and my toes for gas...a lot easier but not hte proper way...

· Premium Member
31,821 Posts
Re: Heel Toe (snuffyboy3)

i also use the wide-feet advantage....but i dont have wide feet. it only seems to work when i'm wearing my workboots or wide runners.
the mk3 pedal setup, stock, is SO useless.
~spoonie

· Registered
9,483 Posts

heheh yep, same here, that's why the camper shoes above help me
i'm size 42 (or 8.5) only and i needed the big soles to help me do it (better).

· Registered
3,556 Posts

Here's another vote for the opposite method- I just can't c0ck my foot at that angle- at least not with my current car. I do have pretty big feet, which helps. It seems to work pretty well, at least I'm not the only one doing it the "wrong" way!
edit- i guess the filter won't let me say c0ck!

Modified by Piper_VW at 7:34 PM 1-8-2004

· Registered
3,809 Posts
Re: Heel Toe (spoonie)

Quote, originally posted by spoonie »

the mk3 pedal setup, stock, is SO useless.
~spoonie

I have a size 15 and i have no problem with the stock MkIII setup but then again i guess you could call it toe-toe. a friend of mine uses his ankle to blip the throttle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.