VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

· Banned
6,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Motor Authority -
http://www.motorauthority.com/...heels/
Heffner Performance’s standard twin-turbo package for the 5.0L high-rev V10 engine of the Lamborghini Gallardo was already one of the most extreme tuning packages for any car, let alone an Italian exotic, but the Florida tuner has lifted performance yet again. This time around, power has been boosted to an insane 930hp (694kW) at the wheels.
There’s no word if this output is put to the ground with the Gallardo’s standard AWD system disabled, as has been done with previous Heffner modified Lamborghinis, but even with the four-wheel-traction that kind of power output will still be extremely difficult to control. Peak torque is rated at 762lb-ft (1032Nm) but to make life a little easier, a two stage boost controller limits boost in 1st and 2nd gear to useable limits.
As expected, modifications to the standard Gallardo are extensive. Starting with a complete engine removal and disassembly, Heffner installs steel cylinder liners, new forged pistons, polished crankshaft journals, new bearings, a new twin-turbo system with custom exhausts and intake systems, twin wastegates and blow-off-valves, 1000hp-rated Carrillo Billet Steel connecting rods, a twin-stage electronic boost controller and a heavy duty clutch to transfer all that power.
To make sure everything runs smoothly, Heffner also installs uprated fuel and water pumps, fuel-injectors and a water-cooled intercooler system. Styling enhancements include a carbon-fiber rear decklid and a Superleggera-style rear diffuser and spoiler.

· Registered
25,744 Posts
Re: Heffner Performance Twin-Turbo Lamborghini Gallardo - 930 HP at the wheels (SickWrathTerror)

Is there a "typical" path for a tuner like this to create something like this?
Do they have that much liquidity to buy a Gallardo, strip it down, and start engineering parts, or is it funded by the shop + the suppliers so the names of the pistons, turbos, etc. get plugged, or does a silly-wealthy person just turn over a car and a blank check?

· Registered
21,784 Posts
Re: Heffner Performance Twin-Turbo Lamborghini Gallardo - 930 HP at the wheels (SickWrathTerror)

I'd much rather have one of his modified Ford GTs. I trust the engine and drivetrain to not fly apart a lot more than I do the Gallardo's.

· Registered
39,478 Posts
Re: Heffner Performance Twin-Turbo Lamborghini Gallardo - 930 HP at the wheels (JustinCSVT)

Quote, originally posted by JustinCSVT »
I'd much rather have one of his modified Ford GTs. I trust the engine and drivetrain to not fly apart a lot more than I do the Gallardo's.

I dunno, from everything I've read about the Ford GT's and seen in the videos, it can't put the power down. The Gallardo seems much more capable of actually making the power usable, so it can be faster in the real world even on less power.

· Registered
21,784 Posts
Re: Heffner Performance Twin-Turbo Lamborghini Gallardo - 930 HP at the wheels (AZGolf)

Quote, originally posted by AZGolf »

I dunno, from everything I've read about the Ford GT's and seen in the videos, it can't put the power down. The Gallardo seems much more capable of actually making the power usable, so it can be faster in the real world even on less power.

If I'm buying one of these, I'm not doing anything from a dig. From 80-100mph on up with slicks it should be fine.

Besides that, the drivetrain is bulletproof. Heffner doesn't even open the engine when he does GTs. I've seen 1000rwhp with stock cams, heads, pistons, rods etc. Too bad they stopped making the block, it was pretty much Ford's baddest modern engine.

Modified by JustinCSVT at 11:05 AM 8-6-2008

· Banned
35,560 Posts
Re: (AutoEuphoria)

I need to play the lotto tonight and win. Sure I'd only net about $12 million after taxes and the lump sum, but I can just live with my parents and park the Gallardo on the street because it's a cul-de-sac.

· Registered
12,885 Posts
Re: Heffner Performance Twin-Turbo Lamborghini Gallardo - 930 HP at the wheels (The Kilted Yaksman)

Quote, originally posted by The Kilted Yaksman »
Wow, a tuner that actually did more than bolt on ugly wheels and a stupid body kit!
Do want!

Hey, it's an American tuner.

· Registered
2003 Honda S2000, 2018 Subaru BRZ, 2015 GX460
23,741 Posts
i would probably trust one of the gt's with that kind of boost a little more. but even if it blew up after the first pull, that'd still be one heckuva pull...
i mean think about it. 900+hp for about 30 seconds then bang. you'd already be going 200mph, so it'd probably be worth it. right?

· Registered
18,870 Posts
Re: Heffner Performance Twin-Turbo Lamborghini Gallardo - 930 HP at the wheels (surefooted)

Quote, originally posted by surefooted »
Hey, it's an American tuner.

That explains the lack of soul

· Banned
19,661 Posts
Re: Heffner Performance Twin-Turbo Lamborghini Gallardo - 930 HP at the wheels (leaftye)

I always wondered how many tuners out there actually test these modded engines....I have a feeling it's NONE
Which brings up my "930whp but how long"

· Registered
18,870 Posts
Re: Heffner Performance Twin-Turbo Lamborghini Gallardo - 930 HP at the wheels (VdubChaos)

If it survives the dyno tuning runs, and the final dyno run, there's really no reason to test it further. Those tests are pretty brutal on the engine, and it's unlikely that the engine will be pushed as hard by whoever buys it.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.