VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Heh, HELP! It wasn't my exhaust rubbing...

1311 Views 31 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  ntrldub
MECHANICS, PLEASE LOOK HELP!

Okay, some of you may have read my post on how I thought my exhaust was rubbing, etc... Well, I put the car up on jack stands, looked around, and found a rubbing on the half shaft and sway bar..

Obviously, it's not my exhaust! Is this covered under warranty? WTF could have caused this?

[Modified by ntrldub, 3:50 PM 2-10-2002]

[Modified by ntrldub, 3:51 PM 2-10-2002]

[Modified by ntrldub, 9:04 PM 2-10-2002]
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Re: Heh, HELP! It wasn't my exhaust rubbing... (ntrldub)

Can you post a pic without everything blacked out? I cant even tell what I am looking at. It almost looks like your sway bar has been rubbing on your drive shaft. Is that what that is? Is your car lowered? Never mind I see you have NS Sports. That could be your problem.

[Modified by MRP2001GTi, 9:58 PM 2-9-2002]
Re: Heh, HELP! It wasn't my exhaust rubbing... (MRP2001GTi)

It justed started the other day, after I heard a clunk clunk, like something fell off....

hope this helps
btw, my car has been lowered for over 6 months...
and your right, that is the sway bar, i have an aftermarket one sitting here, so I'm not really worried about that, but why did it all of a sudden start rubbing?
[Modified by ntrldub, 1:01 AM 2-10-2002]

[Modified by ntrldub, 1:04 AM 2-10-2002]
See less See more

Yeah I check mine every 3 months or so and it has yet to rub. Did you link break on the end?

It looks like the swaybar broke and then was grinding against the halfshaft. Since your car has an aftermarket suspension I doubt warrenty will cover it. Just plan on buying a new aftermarket swaybar and installing it.

link? what link? I'm not familiar with Sway bars, etc.. I'm gonna take this to the dealer, but if you could tell me where to check for a link breakage, i'd appreciate it :-D
I did hear something fall of my car when this started, but at the EXACT same time, my exhaust weld snapped, and starting dragging on the ground, that's why I thought it was my exhaust rubbing at first
See less See more
Re: Heh, HELP! It wasn't my exhaust rubbing... (Jeff Andrews)

quote:[HR][/HR]It looks like the swaybar broke and then was grinding against the halfshaft. Since your car has an aftermarket suspension I doubt warrenty will cover it. Just plan on buying a new aftermarket swaybar and installing it.[HR][/HR]​
I have the ABD front and rear, how can I check and see if it is infact the sway bar, and not something else?
A friend suggested maybe the ball-bearings or something in the drive shaft is messed up..

BTW, sorry i didn't state this before, the grinding noise is only heard during acceleration...

[Modified by ntrldub, 1:18 AM 2-10-2002]
See less See more

At the end of your sway bar there should be a link about four inches long (if I remember right) that attaches the sway bar to your lower control (A) arm.

like this?
See less See more
Re: Heh, HELP! It wasn't my exhaust rubbing... (reflexgti)

it's starting to wear through the half shaft...

This is really strange. Are those links aftermarket??? The rubbing appears to be taking place at the joint where the link connects to the sway bar. If that is the case, it will not matter what kind of sway bar you put in there. The stock links should hold the bar away from the driveshaft suffciently no matter how much you lower the car. The problem is when the suspension is compressed, a lowered car will allow the sway bar to rub on the halfshaft in the bent part of the bar. So an aftermarket bar has a bigger bend to eliminate this, but that is clearly not your problem.
Re: Heh, HELP! It wasn't my exhaust rubbing... (zero)

Someone told me to have the CV joints checked? I only hear this rubbing noise when I am accelerating...

The swaybar endlink can rub too when lowering the car. The factory link pushes the bar up on an arc causing it to rub. Adjustable endlinks allow you to shorten the link over stock to clear the flattened end of the bar. It even says so on the installation instructions for the endlinks.

Where can I get new endlinks, and how much?

Steps I suggest
1. Try adjustable sway links. If you can turn a wrench, and you have a jack...you can do this.
2. To buy some extra margin of protection, I machined off a little material on the leading edge of the sway...looks like yours is already done.
3. Consider better shocks. This may be short term contact due to the dampening rate of the shocks not being well-matched to the spring. Hence the grinding wasn't immediate to you.
4. New sway.
Only way you're getting warranty coverage is if you swap in the stock shocks and play dumb. And contrary to this place, the techs aren't morons. They'll know what's up. With that in mind, skip the dealer.

Too bad you missed out. I sold my endlinks 2 days ago. You can get them from freedom design.

But why does it only rub when i give it gas? (that's why i'm wandering if its the cv joint)

Could I remove my swaybar/endlinks for now? Would that be bad for the car?

no you can remove your sway and run the car just fine, it wil just have a bunch of oversteer.
Are you running stock shocks with your lowering springs?
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.