VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

201 - 220 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
41,655 Posts
Thank you for the good words. We will continue to strive to give you the best show in the world. We only ask that you give us recommendation to make OUR show better. I know Matt and Chris have given their soul to this and we think others need to step. We have requested that SoWo members get paired with our folks to help Police yourselves. Please feel free to add your own comments that we can look at to make 2015 "Da Bomb".
:beer:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Serious thanks to you guys in the HPD. This was my first SoWo festival, so I did not know what to expect. I was hoping it would be nothing like H2Oi in Ocean City, MD, where cars are notoriously ticketed for silly things that don't really threaten anyone (windshield stickers, negative camber). I saw none of that here. What I observed were law enforcement officers who were actively interacting with the scene while keeping the peace, and giving citations when explicitly necessary. I never felt threatened by the presence of the HPD— hell, I'd even say I felt safer that they were there. The speech that Chief Couch made to the Helendorf crowd on Saturday really attests to how cooperative HPD was with our antics. I can only hope it remains this way, and the Euro scene realizes how good we have it in Helen. See you in '15 :beer:

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
As has been said multiple times already...the Helen PD is comprised of folks with more patience and understanding than I thought possible. An amazing group of people that seem to get what their town is all about and do anything they can to allow the visitors to have fun while keeping them safe. Very tolerant, laid back and it would seem genuinely nice people. One of the reasons we at Forge come back year after year. No other town treats us as this one does.

I heard that the chief saved the night at the helendorf with a rather deft touch that mostly defused what could have been an otherwise disastrous end to the night.

Fire department is awesome too. They've plucked our truck from a ditch and usually fill our water tanks for us when they can reach us. Chief has an m3:thumbup:

·
Registered
10,869 Posts
Second time going to SoWo this year. I missed last year but heard of all the shenanigans that happened last year so was kind of worried to head back this year.. I have to say that Helen PD did a great job. Didn't see too many asshats causing trouble this year. I don't stay in town, I stay up in a cabin in innsbruck up the mountain to avoid any issues at night. Went to the Helendorf Saturday night and it seemed pretty chill.

Helen PD keep up the good work, can't wait for next year.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'm pretty sure I got this dude out of a Ticket by telling the officer that they just needed to "Hug it out" and let me take a picture of it hahaha.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Sv: Helen Police Responds

Thank you for the good words. We will continue to strive to give you the best show in the world. We only ask that you give us recommendation to make OUR show better. I know Matt and Chris have given their soul to this and we think others need to step. We have requested that SoWo members get paired with our folks to help Police yourselves. Please feel free to add your own comments that we can look at to make 2015 "Da Bomb".
Not having been to SoWo, I just gotta say that by the sounds of it, by you coming on here and from what I read from others, many departments have a lot to learn from you guys. Wish all police was like this.

Huge respect :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,976 Posts
This was my third SOWO. I am impressed at how the town and Helen PD handled this year, even with the increased attendance numbers. Thank you all for your service, your patience, and your well-placed enforcement. Looking forward to being back next year.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
We continue to be pleased with the time you had at this year's event. Our Agency is a small 9 person Department with 4 part time Officers. We have 1 or 2 big events a month with little incidents, which is a testament to how we try to treat our visitors. Our Department is fully involved in our Community and we have a standing order that at least once a shift every Officer has to park and walk downtown and talk with the merchants, visitors and hand out badges to kids. After reading some feedback about the way things are done in other cities I think it comes down to who you hire, Police Officers or Peace Officers, there is a difference. Thanks and we too look forward to seeing our new friends again.

·
Registered
587 Posts
We continue to be pleased with the time you had at this year's event. Our Agency is a small 9 person Department with 4 part time Officers. We have 1 or 2 big events a month with little incidents, which is a testament to how we try to treat our visitors. Our Department is fully involved in our Community and we have a standing order that at least once a shift every Officer has to park and walk downtown and talk with the merchants, visitors and hand out badges to kids. After reading some feedback about the way things are done in other cities I think it comes down to who you hire, Police Officers or Peace Officers, there is a difference. Thanks and we too look forward to seeing our new friends again.
The bold part is doing it right! I've been to Helen 3 times now all for SoWo and have not had a bad run in with the Helen cops. They all seem to understand they live in a town with a party atmosphere and that as long as you don't act like an ass you will be ok. To me that's a fair agreement so I park my car, pour my beer into a cup and walk all weekend.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Helen PD

The three years that I attended the show the PD for what I saw were very very tolerant and chill. It is such an Awesome town with good people ,and one of the best cars shows I have ever been to. Has anyone else thought to do a Police themed VW showcar ,and let the Helen PD Represent while the show is going on ? I think that would be pretty cool. Maybe VWoA could donate or loan a VW police package car or SUV to the town. Someone should prob. look into that.

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
This was our 4th year at SoWo and we had a blast. After last year, I wasn't sure how the police presence would be, but I was very pleased. Every officer we encountered was very nice and never gave us a problem at all. I think it was a good balance of leniency and cracking down. Shutting down the street at night was a good move, IMO. From what I have heard, it sounds like those who were ticketed, really deserved it. As long as you weren't acting stupid, you were fine. I was really happy with this year. I felt a lot safer than I did last year (I was not a fan of the burnouts on Edelweiss as we were trying to walk on the sidewalk last year...).

Seriously, big thanks to the Helen PD and all the officers who were out that weekend. You put up with a lot for sure. I admire your patience! Thanks for allowing everyone to have fun, but also keeping everyone safe :thumbup: Looking forward to next years event already!

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Everyone here who attended this show hopefully should understand having a police force like this that is VERY leniant unlike at H2oi. They fully understand we're all there to have fun and also bring a nice dose of revenue as well. Havent been to this show but a solid:thumbup::thumbup: for Helen PD who support this show every year

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
Department Vehicle

WERDNA75, About a year ago we first contacted Audi and pitched a Department Vehicle, they were not interested. We contacted VWoA about the idea of a marked Vehicle and was contacted by someone from marketing in the Atlanta area. He liked the idea but said he would have to check to see if any dealer would be willing to try it. We have not received a response. The idea of a VW marked that will be used in the numerous parades and big events (3 millions plus visitors a year),would be a PR dream. The number of Facebook, Instagram, Flickr, Forum, YouTube videos and of course SoWo, would be outstanding. The offer was a loan for a year and the cost of up fitting would be borne by the Department. All insurance and maintenance would also fall on the Agency. It would be a win win for both VWoA and the HPD. We are completely open to the idea and would be proud to show the " Volkswagen Bad Boyz Experience".

·
Registered
361 Posts
WERDNA75, About a year ago we first contacted Audi and pitched a Department Vehicle, they were not interested. We contacted VWoA about the idea of a marked Vehicle and was contacted by someone from marketing in the Atlanta area. He liked the idea but said he would have to check to see if any dealer would be willing to try it. We have not received a response. The idea of a VW marked that will be used in the numerous parades and big events (3 millions plus visitors a year),would be a PR dream. The number of Facebook, Instagram, Flickr, Forum, YouTube videos and of course SoWo, would be outstanding. The offer was a loan for a year and the cost of up fitting would be borne by the Department. All insurance and maintenance would also fall on the Agency. It would be a win win for both VWoA and the HPD. We are completely open to the idea and would be proud to show the " Volkswagen Bad Boyz Experience".
We have a local PD here in Nashville, TN that uses Passat TDIs. I have a buddy that works there & drives one & it is awesome. It's the Belle Meade PD if you want to try to get info about who they've been working with.

·
Registered
7,811 Posts
We are still working with our contacts at VWoA to make this happen.

201 - 220 of 250 Posts