VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

221 - 240 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
You may have more luck marketing it as a DARE vehicle. Helping kids make the right decision when it comes to drugs and alcohol. I have the Beat the Heat Drag Jetta that was at the NGP Booth. Getting the right pitch is the hardest part and I think a DARE style VW would might be the way to go.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You may have more luck marketing it as a DARE vehicle. Helping kids make the right decision when it comes to drugs and alcohol. I have the Beat the Heat Drag Jetta that was at the NGP Booth. Getting the right pitch is the hardest part and I think a DARE style VW would might be the way to go.
"Burnouts are my antidrug" :laugh:

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
WERDNA75, About a year ago we first contacted Audi and pitched a Department Vehicle, they were not interested. We contacted VWoA about the idea of a marked Vehicle and was contacted by someone from marketing in the Atlanta area. He liked the idea but said he would have to check to see if any dealer would be willing to try it. We have not received a response. The idea of a VW marked that will be used in the numerous parades and big events (3 millions plus visitors a year),would be a PR dream. The number of Facebook, Instagram, Flickr, Forum, YouTube videos and of course SoWo, would be outstanding. The offer was a loan for a year and the cost of up fitting would be borne by the Department. All insurance and maintenance would also fall on the Agency. It would be a win win for both VWoA and the HPD. We are completely open to the idea and would be proud to show the " Volkswagen Bad Boyz Experience".
I honestly think that you all could easily get the funds on your own to accomplish this! I would use social media to help with crowd funding this project! I mean seriously. With the amount of talent, venders and everyone who attends SOWO I would think we could take care of it really fast.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I honestly think that you all could easily get the funds on your own to accomplish this! I would use social media to help with crowd funding this project! I mean seriously. With the amount of talent, venders and everyone who attends SOWO I would think we could take care of it really fast.
lol. Yeah right, the kids that go to this show wont donate ****. Just check the numbers for the past years combined total donated to Relay for Life. Probably not enough for a descent set of wheels.

·
Registered
13,155 Posts
Is Helen PD going to actually ticket people for acting like high school kids away from their parents for the first time at spring break? I watched several people do burnouts, get pulled over and let go with a warning. What kind of crap is that?
To me, this gives the others the green light on acting like a fool. Any other town, the impound yard would be over flowing. The income for the week would be filling your pockets to help pay for the extra police y'all need to handle the locals and kids acting dumb all day and night.
I've been every year and can say that these last 3-4 years have been going down hill.
Also, I had to ask one officer a question on Saturday morning. A few of us were volunteering our time to help the organizers on the street that was supposed to be closed on Edelweiss to euro only. When I approached the vehicle and asked him a question about the roads, he simply looked at me and rolled up his window and the got on his phone and ignored me. Seems to me the town just wants the money without having to do a thing... Hope to see changes in 2015. If not, someone will get hurt or killed when some kid loses control. Such a shame to watch a good thing get ruined by a handful of bad apples most of which don't even drive VW's.

·
Registered
60 Posts
HPD

We continue to be pleased with the time you had at this year's event. Our Agency is a small 9 person Department with 4 part time Officers. We have 1 or 2 big events a month with little incidents, which is a testament to how we try to treat our visitors. Our Department is fully involved in our Community and we have a standing order that at least once a shift every Officer has to park and walk downtown and talk with the merchants, visitors and hand out badges to kids. After reading some feedback about the way things are done in other cities I think it comes down to who you hire, Police Officers or Peace Officers, there is a difference. Thanks and we too look forward to seeing our new friends again.
Thank you in advance. Like the others said, thanks for the support and helping us have a good time safely within reason.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I would agree, that it would have been better to start it next year, but it may work if you start it now and work torwards 2016. I recently started a Gofundme page for my Beat the Heat car, but havent had very much luck even with Facebook. So far I have raised $5 in a month. If you can get some large companies in the VAG scene to promote the Gofundme site, it will definitely help you.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Well I guess the idea wasn't as popular as I had imagined. Oh well. I have emailed gofundme to issue refunds to the people that have donated.

Would have been awesome to see a slammed passat with police lights on it at the show one year.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
SoWo 2015

INFORMATION RELEASE
SoWo 2015

We would like to welcome our visitors to the 2015 Southern Worthersee (SoWo) for the week of May 11 – May 17. We are looking forward to seeing our friends from last year and look forward to making new ones this year. We will try to update any info on our Facebook page, to include upcoming traffic changes, within the next few days. We have been working since last year to continue to improve our relationship with your event. Our Chief of Police has constantly been in contact with the organizers of the event, to clear up any problems in the past. We are here to help you to have safe and exciting event showcasing great German technology. The population of White County is 26,000+ and the estimates for this year’s event are 23,000+, which makes this event the size of our City’s Oktoberfest in one weekend. As you can plainly see this event will almost double our entire County’s population. As you can imagine, this can put a strain on services, infrastructure and roads. Therefore, we will be enacting traffic changes during the event, in order to maintain traffic flow and response by Emergency Services. The City of Helen is open to all persons and their legally registered and operated vehicles. The organizers of the event have contracted out private property for the show, vendors and parking. We do not control or enforce this parking as it relates to permission to park; this is up to the organizers. We will not discriminate as to what legally operated vehicles travel on public roadways, unless that roadway is closed to traffic. The City Commissioners in an open meeting voted to give the Chief of Police the ability to close any City maintained roads at his discretion. We simply do not care what type of car you drive, as long as you are not violating State Law or Local Ordinances. Our Officers are given full discretion on violation charges, we do not have a quota and violators are given warnings where appropriate. We will not tolerate any violation that is a hazard to bystanders and could cause injuries. We also will not tolerate damage to public or personal property, to include the type of vehicle you drive. If you are caught in the act of vandalizing or destroying this type of property or vehicle, you will go straight to Jail. We can assure you your SoWo experience will be over. We know that some drivers believe they are Formula 1 drivers, but even professional drivers will tell you cars are mechanical marvels that can break at any time. We understand you are proud of your work on your vehicles and love to show those around you the power they possess, but doing “burn outs” in a crowd is dangerous and can result in injury or death. Leave that for a controlled environment, not the streets of our City. The City of Helen has Ordinances against Open Containers on any public spaces. If you are caught with a visible container of alcohol you may be charged with that offense (Fine $387.00). We also have a No Camping within the City Limits, which includes sleeping overnight in a vehicle.
We have received information that our Tubing Companies will be opening early this year and will be in operation for the event weekend. We would like to remind you, it is a violation of a City Ordinance to tube with a cooler and being in possession of alcohol during your trip down the river. Again all these type violations are enforced at the Officers discretion. This info is our attempt to not only welcome you but also give you fair warning in advance so we can stop any rumors that may be out there.
This year all of our Officers will be on duty and we will be aided by Deputy Sheriffs and a large contingent of Georgia State Patrol and which will include their Aviation Unit. All Officers will be working extended hours and will be stressed by this event, please keep in mind they are at work and not able to spend time with their families, so that you can have a safe and great event.
Those that will be using Drones during the event are reminded to use these devices with respect for privacy and for the public’s safety. Please be aware of low flying Law Enforcement aircraft that could come in contact with Drone vehicles.
Our Agency and Officers are not only here for to enforce Laws and Ordinances, but we are also here to assist you in having a great lifetime memory of your SoWo experience. We hope you will enjoy and respect the special beauty that is the Alpine City of Helen.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Well I guess the idea wasn't as popular as I had imagined. Oh well. I have emailed gofundme to issue refunds to the people that have donated.

Would have been awesome to see a slammed passat with police lights on it at the show one year.
I tried to tell you on facebook also. And you argued that they don't make much money as a small department and that I didn't understand how that works... Seeing as how I was banned for seven days for trying to tell you. I would just like to put this out there. Toureg.

Hope everyone has a great weekend! See you there!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,811 Posts
I tried to tell you on facebook also. And you argued that they don't make much money as a small department and that I didn't understand how that works... Seeing as how I was banned for seven days for trying to tell you. I would just like to put this out there. Toureg.

Hope everyone has a great weekend! See you there!!

This is a photo shop. They do not have a VW Police Car.

·
Registered
76 Posts
On behalf of all of us civilized showgoers, we are deeply sorry Helen and Helen PD for the unneccesary mobscene that took over the town tonight. Thank you for your ridiculous patience and understanding.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
On behalf of all of us civilized showgoers, we are deeply sorry Helen and Helen PD for the unneccesary mobscene that took over the town tonight. Thank you for your ridiculous patience and understanding.

Ditto. This is ridiculous!:thumbdown:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Seriously... After seeing some of the videos and hearing some reports of what's going on (And hearing it outside my condo window) I'm pretty ashamed of what happened tonight. I heard it's still mostly outcasts doing the majority of the nonsense, but our vag-group is encouraging it all.

If there is another sowo... It's gonna be on lock down next year.

I blame the millennials

·
Registered
76 Posts
Honestly hope its on lockdown next year, I'd like to cruise the strip at night without worrying about people reaching in my car and screaming.

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
And this is why we can't have nice things.:thumbdown:

221 - 240 of 250 Posts