VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, in need of a little advice. Bought a used helix sub and thought it came with everything I needed for the install. As it turns out I’m missing the 2 small wiring harnesses shown in the pic. I’ve heard some people haven’t used them but I’m unsure of the work around. If anyone knows where I could buy the missing pieces of has them for sale, that’d be awesome.

Thanks in advance.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Product

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
That wire is long and thick, not sure what’s with those cut wires pictured. Hit the person you bought it from and ask if they uninstalled the wire from behind the head unit. If not they are either just lazy or didn’t install it themselves and didn’t realize that wasn’t a plant asset when they first got their car.

good luck!

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Hey guys, in need of a little advice. Bought a used helix sub and thought it came with everything I needed for the install. As it turns out I’m missing the 2 small wiring harnesses shown in the pic. I’ve heard some people haven’t used them but I’m unsure of the work around. If anyone knows where I could buy the missing pieces of has them for sale, that’d be awesome.

View attachment 104938 Thanks in advance. View attachment 104938
I can’t remember if these pieces are needed since I did my install so long ago but check out this video as it goes step by step. It’s part 1 so just search for the second part if you need it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can’t remember if these pieces are needed since I did my install so long ago but check out this video as it goes step by step. It’s part 1 so just search for the second part if you need it.

Yeah I’ve watched this vid a few times, when he’s doing the wiring on part 2 you’ll see the wiring harnesses I posted in the pic

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That wire is long and thick, not sure what’s with those cut wires pictured. Hit the person you bought it from and ask if they uninstalled the wire from behind the head unit. If not they are either just lazy or didn’t install it themselves and didn’t realize that wasn’t a plant asset when they first got their car.

good luck!
Yeah I have the long harness but not the two small harnesses that go behind the radio in the pic I posted

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Yeah I’ve watched this vid a few times, when he’s doing the wiring on part 2 you’ll see the wiring harnesses I posted in the pic
Hey

Those wires may not be needed…. if my memory serves me correctly, there were two just like that that the MK7’s didn’t use, they were for older models like the MK4 and could be discarded. The yellow and black ones you NEED should have come attached to the wiring harness on one end. Only the little black plastic plug that connected the power wires was separate, which the seller may not have sent you.

If for some reason it doesn’t hook up, you could probably cut the wires and attach them directly using shrink tube (with the solder ring in them) or those plugable male / female wire terminals (make sure you cover them with electrical tape ). It sort of defeats the purpose of the plug n’ play nature of the kit, but at this point who cares, it’s sort of moot, and you just need to get it working, right? I guess you would need the metal clip ends that go into the terminal block though for the yellow and black (if he cut them instead of properly uninstalling them from the terminal block).

Here is a screenshot from my video Showing the yellow and black wires coming from the harness, not separate. Here is what they attach to in case you need to cut them and attach them directly. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey

Those wires may not be needed…. if my memory serves me correctly, there were two just like that that the MK7’s didn’t use, they were for older models like the MK4 and could be discarded. The ones you need came attached to the wiring harness on one end. Only the little black plastic plug that connected the power wires was separate, which the seller may not have sent you.

If for some reason it doesn’t hook up, you could probably get some of the same gauge wire (16 gauge? ) to replace them as a work around, cutting wires and attaching them directly using shrink tube (with the solder ring in them) or those plugable male / female wire terminals (make sure you cover them with electrical tape. It sort of defeats the purpose of the plug n’ play nature of the kit, but at this point who cares, it’s sort of moot, and you need to get it working.

I guess I won’t know until I open it up, from what I saw on all the install vids, it looked like a totally unnecessary bypass

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I guess I won’t know until I open it up, from what I saw on all the install vids, it looked like a totally unnecessary bypass
I think you’re good 99.99999% sure those aren’t needed.

Actually, I was curious about this so I just checked the vid again, and in the first one (unboxing and running the wire) I show two yellow / black wire sets, and I’m sure they weren’t used :

In the wiring vid you can see the yellow black wires you need as part of the install, that are a part of the harness already :

You’re only going to have an issue of you don’t have this clip :

And then I go on to say :

In other words, the clip was stuck in the yellow wire you don’t need.

And…

So ya, just check one end of your wiring harness, if it looks Like the one above you are golden.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think you’re good 99.99999% sure those aren’t needed.

Actually, I was curious about this so I just checked the vid again, and in the first one (unboxing and running the wire) I show two yellow / black wire sets, and I’m sure they weren’t used :

In the wiring vid you can see the yellow black wires you need as part of the install, that are a part of the harness already :

You’re only going to have an issue of you don’t have this clip :

And then I go on to say :

In other words, the clip was stuck in the yellow wire you don’t need.

And…

So ya, just check one end of your wiring harness, if it looks Like the one above you are golden.

That gives me some hope, we’ll see what happens.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.