VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
12,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Texr's need a favor...... I just purchased the Hella Two Horn kit and need some help/tips installing it
I found a DIY install page for the reg horns but nothing that helps install the air compressor and relay. Any help you guys could help me out with would be great http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
6,239 Posts
Re: Hella DUAL-TONE, 2 TRUMPET AIR HORN KIT Install (got_vdub)

Find a place you want to mount them. Make a braket to hold them. remove your horns that are in the car now. The air compressor uses standard slide on contacts, so no special connector is needed. You don't need to use the relay as our cars already have a horn relay and to wire in another one would just be useless and redundant. Cut off one of the horn connectors, and crimp the new slide-on connectors ( I have no idea what they are really called but can be bought super cheap at any auto parts store). Make sure you get the brown as ground (-) and yellow/black or whatever the colour is as (+). depending where you locate the horns you may have to add some wire. That's abotu it.
Also, change your horn fuse to 15 amps, because the stock 10 will blow right away.

· Registered
10,932 Posts

what you should do is make a "L" shaped bracket with holes drilled on each tip.. you can use that to mount your horn to a near by spot to where the original horns are (you'll see what I mean). And I just mounted the horns thenselves on the perches where the original horns were. And a little lock-tite on everything, everythings been working well for me.
Edit: also you don't need the relay, just wire + ~~> + , - ~> - to one of the connectors to the horns. I used flat connectors.

Modified by samc at 11:07 PM 1-12-2004

· Registered
12,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Hella DUAL-TONE, 2 TRUMPET AIR HORN KIT Install (samc)

Oh PS if someone could take pics of how they mounted that would be great. Thanks for the advice guys http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
992 Posts

use relays - the fact that they siad to replace the horn fuses means the civuite doesnt put out the proper amount of power, using a relay will take all of 5 minutes, if it were my car i would do it, and if it was a car i was working on i would do it

Modified by JohnnyDii at 5:10 PM 1-14-2004

· Registered
25,744 Posts
Re: Hella DUAL-TONE, 2 TRUMPET AIR HORN KIT Install (JohnnyDii)

If you got the fully-boxed version, as in not used, their is a wiring schematic and relay included.
You'll need an inline fuse though. Hit anyplace that installs ICE for that.
Mouting can be just about anywhere. Get creative.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.