VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked at Captain Obvious' installation site, but he has retained the stock GLX foglights built into the headlight cluster. The way I want to set them up is without the integrated foglights.
What I basically want to know is: is there a way for me to splice into the stock wiring to activate the fogs, without having to use the Hella wiring harnesses?

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
Re: Hella Micro DE installation. (roadsleeper)

quote:[HR][/HR]I've looked at Captain Obvious' installation site, but he has retained the stock GLX foglights built into the headlight cluster. The way I want to set them up is without the integrated foglights.
What I basically want to know is: is there a way for me to splice into the stock wiring to activate the fogs, without having to use the Hella wiring harnesses?[HR][/HR]​
I installed mine a few weeks ago. Only instruction off of captain obvious's site was how to take out bumper part. Nothing is need to be cut as it is described in the site.
If you are to run hella fog without the hella wiring harness then you will have to bridge the with oem fog wire. But since you don't want to use oem fog wire either so my guess is that you will have to run a wire through firewall then you will have to use wires that came with Hella DE fog set.
My advise, if you want to save yourself tons of time and hassel, bridge the wires with oem fog wire. You will see the wiring harness when you take out the bumper and the headlight unit. Took me 3hours install that bad boy.
Anyway, I am running OEM light switch to activate both of my oem fog and hella and I like it. And I liked the idea of not having to drill any holes to my car.
The wiring took me the less time. Make sure you ground them both wires to negative connector of the battery. I also replaced 55w H3 bulbs with 75w super white bulbs and so I had to change fuse#36 from 15amps to 30amps just to accomodate the higher wattage.
Its been about 2 weeks since I got it done and I have no problems with it. You have to love the light out put when you drive at night. Lovely!

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Hella Micro DE installation. (soundzero)

OK, you're going to have to clarify what you wrote. Here's what I need to know.
I am trying to run Hella Micro DEs on a GTI GLX, I do not have the integrated foglights, but would like to use the wiring for the integrated foglights to power/operate the Micro DEs along with an OEM Euroswitch. Does anyone know if this is possible and how to do it?

·
25,560 Posts
Re: Hella Micro DE installation. (roadsleeper)

i am not sure why you dont have integrated foglights, however, if the wiring is still there all you have to do is follow the instructions in the how too. It should work fine.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Adrian-
I don't think this would be very hard at all man. We just have to find what wire sends power to the factory fogs when on....and then run that wire to the DE's. Does that make sence? I think so.
Lets try it.. I have a Volt/OHM Meter....I'll call you this week. See ya.... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.