VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum…
I Picked up my 2003 A4 3.0 last Saturday. Black with charcoal interior.
Premium, sport and winter packages. So far, a few hundred miles…
I do all the maintenance myself so I have a few questions. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
1) What is the oil capacity for the 3.0, including filter?
2) Is the OEM oil filter the same as the one on the previous 2.8 iron block motor?
3) Im looking for a rear spoiler, nothing "ghetto" please. Any recommendations?
4) Any tips, advise from seasoned 3.0 owners is appreciated.
Thank you.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Re: Hello all… (FrancisK)

Quote, originally posted by FrancisK »
Just wonder... I think new Audi include 4 yrs maintainance program, why bother to think about oil filters?

If he's okay doing maintenance himself, let him go. I'm just starting to do my own maintenance only because I enjoy it. I've never had a bad service experience with audi, that said I don't like schlepping 15 miles to the dealer every few months.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Hello all… (J.Ro)

Thank you all for the input… http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
As far as maintenance is concerned, I have no faith in the folks at the dealer. This is my third car since October 99 from the same dealer. 1) 99 Passat 1.8t, 2) 01.5 Passat V6. I go back because they always match my financial concerns and they are close to home. As far as servicing the vehicle… It’s a purchased car and its my money… so I choose to take care of it on my own terms. I don't believe in Audi's 10k LOF intervals http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif . Besides, they buy their oil in bulk… who knows what's going into my motor.

Look forward to chatting with you in the future.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Re: Hello all… (Kuatro)

Quote, originally posted by Kuatro »
I don't believe in Audi's 10k LOF intervals http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif . Besides, they buy their oil in bulk… who knows what's going into my motor.

I totally hear you on that one. I can't trust the dealership techs, well not the ones out here.

Modified by turbo90awd at 3:26 PM 5-9-2003

·
Registered
14,392 Posts
Re: Hello all… (turbo90awd)

i trust the techs. but i've been to dealerships where my car never even got to the techs! "oh right tom, we took care of that problem. all fixed now!" reality: it never moved out of the spot i put it in. that's why i do my own work....so that i know it actually got done!

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Re: Hello all? (GTiTOM)

yeah, I'm starting to suspect my mechanics of being 'less than thorough' too.. particularly with the big 40k checkup.. I think they did an oil change and conveniently forgot to check all the fluids, brake pads/rotors, and doing the brake fluid change, etc
but they seem to be competent with doing oil changes as long as I bring in my own oil.. which I do every 5k

·
Registered
144 Posts
Re: Hello all? (JoeFriday)

One BIG reason to change your oil yourself: the included maintenance only includes an oil and filter every 10,000 miles! That seems WAY too long to me, even with modern technology. Every dealer I have talked to has pretty much rolled their eyes at that 10,000 mi gap and said that they personally wouldn't wait that long either. Most have offered to "top it off" free of charge if the car gets low at all because they disagree with that service interval. (and yes, I know they want to make more money, but the people I talked to seemed to have the car's best interest at heart, not just selling or making $$)

·
Registered
5,304 Posts

This is what I'm going to do for maintenance
Audi-oil and filter 10k.........me 5k
Audi spark- plugs 40k.........me 10k
Audi-air filter 60k........me 10k
Audi-fuel filter, life of the car.......me 20k
Audi-engine coolant, life of the car.......me 30k
Audi-tranmission fluid, life of the car......me 30k
Audi-power steering fluid, life of the car......me 30k
Audi-timing belt 105k......me 60k and new thermostat, roller, tensioner,rib belt,water pump

I have done this to all the cars I own. You might call me anal. But all my cars have run like champs.
What is a extra $50.00 for spark plugs and filters a year? If you plan on keeping your car for a while. Why ot take care of it.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Re: Hello all… (finklejag)

Hey, congrats on the new A4. I just recently picked up an '02 Avant, and will be servicing the car at 5K miles I think and letting the dealer do it as scheduled.
Audi Accessories makes the Votex spoiler above. It's available at any dealer and several of the links listed above who sell OEM Audi parts.

·
Registered
11,304 Posts

im buying an S4 spoiler for my 3.0 pretty soon http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
and good choice on the car mine has the exact same options but its a 2002 w/ beige premium leather http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Hello all… ([email protected])

Thanks guys…
Off I went Saturday morning to the Audi parts counter to order a few things. I also managed to pick up an accessories catalogue from Audi. I researched the internet for spoiler kits and found the one in the accessory catalogue the most pleasing… at least to my eyes. The rest were to aggressive in my opinion. Aside from the M3 style deck spoiler and eyebrows this is all Im purchasing outside of Audi.
I will be replacing the OEM 5 spoke wheels with BBS LM's. Im contemplating replacing with the same size, or should I go with 18's? The car came with 235-45-17. The replacement would be 245-40-18. I don't want to throw off the spedo/odo calibration. Your thoughts?
With respect to the aforementioned spoilers… has anyone seen the pictures in the catalogue? If so, I have yet another question regarding the rear apron. The exhaust tips protruding through the apron, in the picture, do not resemble the ones on my car. I wonder if the tips are from the S4 exhaust they also have for sale.
Any ideas?
As for maintenance, my first LOF will be at 1500 miles, the second at 3000 and every 3k thereafter. The filter is MAN. I for one do not believe in "break in" oil. Motors are motors… yes they are technologically advanced, however they remain an internal combustion engine. There will be factory shavings as well as debris from the rings settling in. I want that stuff out of my motor ASAP! Which explains the frequency of the first two oil changes. My 99 1.8t and 2001.5 2.8 went through the same process without any problems.

Fuel and Air filters every 10k, plugs every 15.
One good thing about technological advancements… no more distributors! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Once again, thanks for all your input. Keep it coming…
Kuatro

·
Registered
5,304 Posts

Buy the 19 inch LM's
The 17 and 18 look way too small on our car. They don't make a offset for the A4 anyways in 17 or 18.
I have 19x8.5 with a offset a et32 with 235/35/19 tires. No rubbing at all.

Modified by finklejag at 7:33 PM 5-12-2003

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.