VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of Last week I am a proud owner of a 2004 Tornado Red Jetta GLi 1.8T. I suddenly became very bored of my SVT Focus, and decided to go looking around to see what would interest me. After visiting nearly every major car lot around, I felt most comfortable at the nearest VW dealer. I started off by test drving the R32, a black one. I loved it, too bad it was out of my price range.
I then saw the GLI sitting next to it, also loved it, more so than I would have imagined, and 4 hours later, I pull into my garage in the Jetta. This is my first Turbo car, and I'm still wet behind the ears with this car, so I have lots to learn.
First off, What are the "Necessary mods"?
I'm looking to start with a CAI and a downpipe.
I'm also thinking about a chip, The Upsolute. Is the CAI and Downpipe necessary before I chip this thing? I know that with more boost, comes more heat. I definatley don't want to cook this turbo.....

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Hello everyone, Proud Newbie here.. (dubseekerIV)

No. I left it stock b/c it was always in service for the stock parts that kept breaking. Plus, parts were somewhat expensive, for not much gain. I also averaged 22 mpg, and the thing required Premium fuel. That stuff is going about 2.15(avg) here.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Re: Hello everyone, Proud Newbie here.. (LuisF)

Congrats and Welcome to the tex.
I also hate to brake it to you but the 1.8t also needs premium.
Anyhow, I would suggest one of the first mods to be our suspension. I have a 03 GTI 1.8T. So I am not a Jetta owner, maybe that is not one of the first things you should do.
The cai would be a good mod. That was my first mod I did over the weekend and love the sound of it. So far at least. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Next will be my suspension. Well good luck with everything and post some pics once you start, or even now.

Late

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Re: Hello everyone, Proud Newbie here.. (gldglove25)

Quote, originally posted by gldglove25 »
i hate to break it to you, but your VW also requires premium fuel.

not be an arse here, but is american cars always worse than other brands? such as vw or honda ? (again just question, not trying to put down)

·
Registered
7,718 Posts

I would do the suspension first and then chip, intake, exhaust. Also I wouldn't say parts for our cars are cheap either.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Re: Hello everyone, Proud Newbie here.. (gldglove25)

Quote, originally posted by gldglove25 »
i hate to break it to you, but your VW also requires premium fuel.

Sure does, but to be quite honest, I could really care less that my GTi wants 93.
As for mods, the first thing I would do is a rear sway bar.
Night and Day difference in handling when you install one. Great first mod.
A intake/DV combo will get you that nice "whoosh" turbo sound but not much hp.
A chip is by far your best hp bang for you buck but will void you warranty in a heartbeat if your dealer finds out. So, I would look into REVO or APR which does software only "chips" and you can purchase a security lock out program so your dealer will not detect it (in theory). I wouldn't get a chip though until you are past your "break-in" period though. Downpipes are an awesome mod but if you have the money I would get the complete turboback exhaust.
I would also suggest talking to your service dept. at your dealership and see what they think about mods. Some stealerships are pretty mod friendly (mine is) and some will void your warranty rather quickly.
Congrats on the new GLi though...incredibly sweet ride!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by 20thAEGTI#991 at 2:50 PM 5-20-2004

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Hello everyone, Proud Newbie here.. (20thAEGTI#991)

Yeah, I just noticed that My car does require Premium. Oh well.
As for the intake, I found a used AEM CAI for pretty cheap that I'm picking up. DV? Can you explain that one?
As for the chip, I was under the assumption that the UPsolute was a chip, maybe I was wrong. I definatley want something that can be switched back to stock if the situation needed so.
The suspension may have to wait for now. I'm pretty happy with the way the car feels, and I have no intention to visit the Auto-X courses around here.

·
Registered
496 Posts

DV is a diverter valve. I believe it releases pressure back into the turbo, therefore the turbo spins longer and at lower rev's. However dont quote me on it. I am just learning about this stuff too.
I would def suggest AEM CAI if you found one cheap. You will like the sound. I have to still get a dv for it though.
If you want to find out what the dv does exaclty I am sure you can do a search and find out a lot of stuff about it.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts

WELCOME NEWBIE!!!! im glad you switched to VW! good choice! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,041 Posts

Quote, originally posted by LuisF »
As for the intake, I found a used AEM CAI for pretty cheap that I'm picking up. DV? Can you explain that one?
As for the chip, I was under the assumption that the UPsolute was a chip, maybe I was wrong. I definatley want something that can be switched back to stock if the situation needed so.
The suspension may have to wait for now. I'm pretty happy with the way the car feels, and I have no intention to visit the Auto-X courses around here.

if you want something that can be switched back to stock go with APR, REVO, or GIAC. UPSOLUTE is a chip but does not have those program switching capabilities. as for the dv. well if you know what a blow off valve is? well its basically the same thing just that a dv never vents to atmosphere. i dont know how knowledgeable you are on turbo cars but if you are really serious to learn about turbos and turbod cars pick up the book by corky bell i forgot the name but if you read it once youll know everything you need to know about turbos and turbod cars.
my best advice to you is research, many of the aftermarket products are the same it really just depends on what you like and how much money you have.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Hello everyone, Proud Newbie here.. (VW SpeeD 18T)

Diverter Valve..... I'll remember that one. Thanks!
I wonder what #'s I'll gain with those and the Downpipe...

·
Registered
1,629 Posts

DV = Diverter Valve. 1.8T's stock dv is pretty decent but it will eventually fail.
Most aftermarket DV's are totally serviceable and will never fail if you take care of them. With a new DV and a CAI, you will really hear your turbo. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I haven't heard too many good things about Upsolute. IMHO, the 3 major chip manufacturers for dubs are GIAC, REVO, and APR. I've done trial versions on all 3 and I'm going with APR this summer. Although all 3 are great.
Your car feels good now because it came with a sport suspension (better springs, same sh*tty shocks) but a better rear sway bar will really amaze you. My car stays *much* flatter now thru the curves! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Hello everyone, Proud Newbie here.. (bacek)

Hey, you gotta start learning somewhere, right? I appreciate the info you guys have already given me, makes me feel that this site is one I want to visit more often. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

What are some good aftermarket DV's?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts

Hey, you gotta start learning somewhere, right? I appreciate the info you guys have already given me, makes me feel that this site is one I want to visit more often. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Right on! Just to let you know, the 2004.5 Jetta GLi was just added to the 337/20thAE forum so take some pics of your car and come post them.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Sweet. I just got some nice DV info. CAI+DV here we come!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts