VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

help 16v turbo on digi idle pig rich

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  big_hot_tamale 
#1 · (Edited)
so, do i post this here or in the g60 engine forum, so torn..hoping someone else has run into this issue...

16v 2.0 full port/polish, kkk06 turbo, g60 IC, BOV instead of boost return tbody, running digi setup from a g60 corrado with a custom 'Turbo' burned chip from BBM.

the ISV/ICU draws air from a boost tube location that is before the copot. so the copot is not seeing any air passing through it when the tbody is closed.

and I also have a ball valve on a 3mm dia air inlet to intake manifold to compensate for no idle screw since im using an obd t-body w/ no idle adjust. its wide open at the moment drawing in ambient air, will connect it to intake plumbing soon to prevent dust from getting in.

new gas, new green top #26lb injectors, 3.5 fpr, walbro fuel pump.
co pot is stock resistance
close-tbody microswitch is engaged

car starts right up, timing is spot on, but it idles at 10.1 afr. My plugs get pitch black in a matter of minutes and it doesn't like to idle for very long as such a rich mixture.

grounds are all good, alt puts out decent voltage, good vacuum being pulled at idle

any idea what I'm doing wrong or missing to hit a decent afr at idle?

See less See more
#2 ·
Lots of things it can be but based on what you stated, my guess is something to do with the Digi MAP line/port. Digi is extremely picky about the Size, length and diameter of the MAP line (1 meter long by 3.5 mm). The G60 TB has 2 vac ports (one for charcoal canister, emissions, etc) and one for ECU. Mix them up as many have in the past and it will run Pig Rich.

Since are not running a G60 TB, where is your Digi MAP line hooked up?

Other things:

Blue CTS
O2 sensor or brittle wiring at plug, etc
shorted brittle injector harness.
Timing (Digi require a special procedure to Time it) unlike any other VW. Need to follow Bentley to a T.
Make sure ECU is grounded properly to Rain Tray, Motor is grounded to firewall and ECU grounds are on Head Coolant outlet flange on D/S or alike
Idle Switch

As mentioned in your other post in the G60 forum, Digi does not use metered air (it's speed density).

The MAP line is extremely important. CO Pot is just a dual IAT essentially. One IAT for ECU and on on a separate scale to adj for fine fuel tuning and emissions (CO Potentiometer).

#3 ·
thanks..

my digi map line is hooked up to a tap in the intake manifold, at the far end opposite of the tbody though...I will go recheck it's length and size, it may be a bit too long!

i'm using the oem 16v cts, read everywhere that it's sufficient, the ohms read correct

o2 sensor is new and all new wiring and connections used

injector harness is created from scratch, all new wiring and connectors

timing, I did not follow the Bentley only used a timing light at idle, thank you for reminding me, I'll go back and re-visit that properly

ecu's brown/blk grounded to alt support arm (weird spot I know) but dmm shows good ground continuity to that spot

using oem 16v ground cable from driver's trans mount to chassy to - battery post

idle switch is engaged i can hear it click and its got continuity at closed brn/wt to blue/blk, microswitches/harness is off a 16v tbody

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.