VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 89 1.8L 8V died on me today. It didn't really give me that much warning. I was driving home from the DMV and the car started to hesitate slightly. The hesitating progressively got worse until the car actually stalled while I was driving. I pulled over and was able to get the car started again, and drove a little while further. Then at a stop light the car sputtered and cut out like it was out of gas, and would not start again. I was able to get the car into a parking lot and go get some gas for it thinking that some how it had ran out of gas. Came back with gas, and that wasn't it. It still won't start. I can hear the fuel pump priming, so I don't think that it's a fuel pump problem. The engine turns over freely, so nothing is broken internally, and I have spark at the spark plugs. Can anyone give me a little bit of insight as to what might be wrong with this thing.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Re: HELP!! 8V Died...... (k2bum)

A really bad air leak. Check the boot between the throttlebody and the intake pipe. This will crack over time. Basically its a closed system(if you have CIS-E) which you might. If its digifant I can't help you. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Re: HELP!! 8V Died...... (chatterton)

pull a spark plug is it carbon fouled? (black) if it is you are running excessively rich.
unplug the o2 sensor see if that does any justice.
check your ground wires leading onto the drivers side of the valve cover, these are crucial for efficient ECU operation,
Coolant temp sensor?
air intake leak.
i am assuming since the car is an 89 its digifant unless CIS was transplanted in VERY UNLIKELY. good luck lemme know what you find

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: HELP!! 8V Died...... (a2racer)

Engine management is Digi II. I know that it's not the timing belt. I'm going to check the grounds, and the spark plugs to see if they are fouled. I bought a fuel filter in case that was clogged, and I have a whole fuel rail, FPR, and injectors. So that just about takes care of everything on the fuel side except the fuel pump. I'm hoping that it's just something simple.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Re: HELP!! 8V Died...... (k2bum)

If you are near Marydel, check with the vw guru tech there, Soli is his name
and he's in the vwvortex Marketplace/classifieds/MKII area with userid of something like vw_problem. He's been away for a week or two..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts