VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yo everybody, im new to the mk1 and realllly want to know some stuff. im looking to buy a rabbit maybe deisel, maybe not. i want good gas mileage and a car that is fun to drive.
are they fairly easy to work on/ rebuild...and do they break down alot?
oh yea where do you find parts for these things?!?
thanx in advance

· Registered
3,657 Posts
Re: help a brotha out (truDUBr)

Quote, originally posted by truDUBr »
yo everybody, im new to the mk1 and realllly want to know some stuff. im looking to buy a rabbit maybe deisel, maybe not. i want good gas mileage and a car that is fun to drive.
thanx in advance

good mileage and fun to drive.
-yes
Easy to work on?
-yes, if the bolt/nut isn't rusted solid or rusted off
Break down alot?
- uh huh. alot. every wire is corroded, every hose is rotted, every panel is rusted, and the previous owner f'd alot of things up
Parts?
- buy a rabbit and plant it in your back yard, next summer you'll have a rabbit parts bush.

· Registered
933 Posts

sarcasim is always fun thanks.......i guess im not going to learn anything from posting

want sarcasm, go to the mark three forums.
in all honesty he posted the truth bro, these are 20 year old cars, this coast rusts. and i have only bought one rabbit that wasnt mangled by a PO somewhere.
now,are they fun to drive ? well im going to guess that the 1000's of mark one guys are still around for a reason

· Registered
358 Posts
Re: (QMK04Z)

Yea, pretty much everytime you go to fix something you find something else that's wrong with the poor thing. I've had mine since May, and even after tinkering on it all summer it's still nowhere near done. But you know what? I've never enjoyed working on a car so much. Good luck!

· Registered
1,576 Posts

Having built drag trucks and played with Ford most of my life before seeing the light of VW I can say without a doubt that once you get into the headspace of working with them your hooked. There simple, strightfoward, and easy to fix.
That said yes, these are 30ish year old ecno-boxes, they have more than likey had a hard, poorly cared for life and as such most finds will be less than ideal.
My car for example is just getting to that golden stage of being fixed and running right... yes I have a new tranny, axles, fully rebuilt suspension and stearing, most of the cooling system, and a thousand other little things (thats were they get you too; it's all the nickle and dime stuff) my car is getting to be reliable, fast, and very fun to drive.
Just do it and enjoy the trip!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.