VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased an entire Mkv Gti digital airlift kit and have been researching quite a bit about the rubbing issues.

It is a personal nightmare to have a rear bag blow out on me so I want to do the install right the first time and have no worries.

I have been referred to Drew Dorbritz and looked at his D cups, also the performance height brackets from bag riders.

I need your experience and wisdom on the subject of Mkv Gti rear bag set up's and how to PREVENT rubbing.

Thanks,

Austin

·
Registered
736 Posts
I just purchased an entire Mkv Gti digital airlift kit and have been researching quite a bit about the rubbing issues.

It is a personal nightmare to have a rear bag blow out on me so I want to do the install right the first time and have no worries.

I have been referred to Drew Dorbritz and looked at his D cups, also the performance height brackets from bag riders.

I need your experience and wisdom on the subject of Mkv Gti rear bag set up's and how to PREVENT rubbing.

Thanks,

Austin

If you have purchased a complete kit, it should come with brackets. no need for D-cups unless you go with other rear bags.

I have the airlift performance rears and no problems, i daily my car too. Going great for 2months now.

·
Registered
15,281 Posts
Return the airlift rears and go with ss5's and dcups. **** airlift rears

·
Banned
8,087 Posts
Correct. Most people have rubbing issues with the lower control arms and the slam brackets. Mount the bags inward enough and trim properly, you'll have no problem!

·
Registered
7,240 Posts
are they still making these rear bags with plastic caps? quality was most def lacking a year ago, not sure if they addressed this...

the main issue with rubbing comes from the bag sitting in the rear control arm. not saying you can't properly orientate the bag to clear the perimeter of the seat, but it most definetly requires you to jack up and lower the control arm a number of times to find the appropriate position for the top bracket. you'll be drilling and fastening the self-tapping screws a number of times into the body of the car to get it right.

i highly suggest changing over to ss5's or re5's while using a bottom spacer to bring the bag partly out of the seat in the control arm and custom top brackets. for the time and effort it requires you to properly orientate the airlift bags, you could easily make d-cup-esque brackets yourself and use a higher quality bag.

either that or return them for bagyard rear bags and call it a day sans cutting :laugh:

just a thought before you start cutting your car up to try and make the airlift bags work.

·
Registered
736 Posts
does ss/re bags go lower? and do they use about the same
psi to raise the rears? I'm running about 55-65 psi in the rears with airlift

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I know that when I had my AirLift rear XL's installed, there was a quite a bit of rubbing on the LCA. The guys at Tomas Sport Tuning had to trim the LCA down to make it fit on top of getting rid of the top nipple.

·
Registered
7,240 Posts
No, they will not go lower than the AirLift Slam XL's.

The SS/RE's will give you a raked look. :thumbup::beer:
is that a joke? if you install re5's with no mounting brackets i doubt you would even be able to raise the back of the car to a driveable height...

i have a 2.25" spacer in the lower control arm to get the lift i need from these bags

collapsed height on re5's is 2.9", collapsed height on slam xl rear bags is 5"

this is completely dependent on how you mount these bags

·
Banned
8,087 Posts
No, it's not a joke, sorry.

After rereading the conversation, we were referring to d-cups + ss/re bags and not a bracket-less setup. Sure, remove the brackets and you will go drastically lower, but that's not what we were talking about. :thumbup::beer:

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No, it's not a joke, sorry.

After rereading the conversation, we were referring to d-cups + ss/re bags and not a bracket-less setup. Sure, remove the brackets and you will go drastically lower, but that's not what we were talking about. :thumbup::beer:
All I wanted to know was if there is precaution's you can take to not rub with airlift xl's with slam brackets :beer:

·
Registered
7,240 Posts
it honestly kills me that people think d-cups are their only option when choosing a universal bag :banghead:

no stab at dorbritz or anything, but come on... is everyone that impressed by this design or is it just a mindless solution?

air suspension has become way too "off the shelf" imo, lets see some interesting set-ups with specific design intent

/rant

sorry andrew, didn't mean to come off like a jerk

1 - 20 of 41 Posts