VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting the sports springs from Drive Gear. Had the wheels off this weekend cleaning everything up before winter and it didn't look like it would be to hard of a job to replace the springs. Anyone done it and what's involved, any special tools needed. Also, can't find much on these springs, anyone know what the drop is, dealer said 3/4" to 1", which is what I'm looking for, don't want to go to low. Thanks, and yes I did search first but could not find anything.

· Registered
114 Posts
Re: HELP! Anyone installed their own sports springs? (jdfj316)

My dealer states that the Driver Gear springs are droped shipped from Eibach. I called Eibach and the person that I talked to had never heard of Driver Gear. All that I can assume is they are Eibach Pro-Kit springs with a 1.25 inch drop on each end. All the posts with pictures I have seen are cars with H&R springs. Anybody have Driver Gear or Eibach Pro-kit spring pictures or measurements. Yes you do have to drop the axles on the Passat install as well.

· Registered
1,765 Posts
Re: HELP! Anyone installed their own sports springs? (Tradewinds22)

Quote, originally posted by Tradewinds22 »
My dealer states that the Driver Gear springs are droped shipped from Eibach. I called Eibach and the person that I talked to had never heard of Driver Gear. All that I can assume is they are Eibach Pro-Kit springs with a 1.25 inch drop on each end. All the posts with pictures I have seen are cars with H&R springs. Anybody have Driver Gear or Eibach Pro-kit spring pictures or measurements. Yes you do have to drop the axles on the Passat install as well.

I think I can shed some light about the parts. VW does not provide an exact drop with the springs they offer, they only estimate it to be 3/4" to 1". In the past, the springs were part of VW's drop ship program, so when a dealer ordered them, it would take 7-10 days for the dealer to receive them. With the sets for the new cars (Passat, GTI, Jetta) a dealer will actually order them through their parts depot and receive them in 2-3 days. Eibach makes the springs for VW, but if you buy a set, they will come in a VW box, so that is probably why Eibach was not familiar with DriversGear.
The part number for the VW spring kit for a Passat is 3C0-071-678 for a 2.0T with MT and 3C0-071-679 for a 2.0T with AT or 3.6 with AT or 4Motion. Both options retail from VW for $337.50.

· Registered
2,287 Posts
Re: HELP! Anyone installed their own sports springs? (SoftballBud31)

I didn't remove the bolt that holds the axle to the spindle and when I went to put everything back in , I noticed that the axles had pulled out from the transmission. This sucked royally as I had to remove the boots reassemble the race bearing, pack with grease replace the axle then put the boot and clamp back on. Personnally If I do it again I will follow the MKV write up. seems to be pretty good.

· Registered
114 Posts
Re: HELP! Anyone installed their own sports springs? (sugmag)

Thanks for the information. It seems funny to me that the 2.0T automatic and the 3.6 would have the same part numbers. I would think the six cylinder engine would be heavier and require a higher spring rate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.