VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Where do the wires (3 and 4) go on the round main plug on the right hand side of the block (see pics of what plug I mean)? There are no manulas in the area for the 95 VR6 so I decided to ask on here

And here is where all the stuff is, if the other pics look confusing.

UPDATE (05/20/03):
Problem not solved, when I *thought* I fixed it I put it all back together and it does it again. I have an extra plug by the temp sensor and my mechanic told me that the engine may be out of a Corrado.
I will have a sucessful VR swap side-by-side by my car and I will compare all the wires. It seems like there is a sensor that hooked up to the wrong ground which operates at higher than 5 volts causing the existing temp sensors (4-5v) to read wrong because of the higher impendance.

Modified by gregosh at 5:30 PM 5-20-2003

·
Registered
782 Posts
Re: Help!!! Anyone who did a VR6 swap in their car... (gregosh)

coolant temp sensor is the blue connector. the only way to do it is to do a continuity test but if you cant do that just follow the wir and yes it is a biotch.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Help!!! Anyone who did a VR6 swap in their car... (2nutz#2)

OK, I followed the 2 BROWN wires that are shorted, and amazingly
they are both crimped together and out of the 2 that are crimped, 3 come out and go into the main plug.
If anyone has schematics for the VR please send them to me, I will pay $$$!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
5,810 Posts

All grounds on a car will have continuity to each other.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Help!!! Anyone who did a VR6 swap in their car... (stealthmk1)

Quote, originally posted by stealthmk1 »
All grounds on a car will have continuity to each other.

So your saying the 2 brown cables are both grounds?

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
Re: Help!!! Anyone who did a VR6 swap in their car... (need_a_VR6)

Out of curiousity, what kind of gauge cluster are you using?

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Help!!! Anyone who did a VR6 swap in their car... (VWguy)

Quote, originally posted by VWguy »
Out of curiousity, what kind of gauge cluster are you using?

Using the original MK3 Cluster out of the donor car. I swapped in another MK3 cluster and the same thing happened with the temp guage, so I'm guessing there's nothing wrong with the cluster.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts

did you also swap in the mk3 cluster harness? If not, that might be your problem.........

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Help!!! Anyone who did a VR6 swap in their car... (20vTa3)

Quote, originally posted by 20vTa3 »
did you also swap in the mk3 cluster harness? If not, that might be your problem.........

I did not do the swap, I bought the car already swapped. How would I be able to tell what harness cluster I have?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts

the mk3 harness will have all white wires going to the cluster, with 2 plugs at the cluster, the main one usually white, and a red one...You can use one out of 4cyl, it doesn't have to be VR6............

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Help!!! Anyone who did a VR6 swap in their car... (20vTa3)

In that case, yes it is a MK3 wire cluster. The red plug has 4 (might be 5, can't remeber) wires I beleve going into it.

·
Registered
782 Posts

I think i might know what your problem is. Does the coolant light flash all the time? if so it is because you have to switch to wires on the harness now i dont know which ones because dean did it for me but I will try and find out.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Quote, originally posted by 2nutz#2 »
I think i might know what your problem is. Does the coolant light flash all the time? if so it is because you have to switch to wires on the harness now i dont know which ones because dean did it for me but I will try and find out.

Yes, when everything is hooked up the coolant light flashes. When the main plug is disconnected everything is OK. If you could find out I would GREATLY appreciate it!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
7,418 Posts

Quote, originally posted by 2nutz#2 »

My coolant light flashes all the time too! Except I'm using a MK2 cluster... hopefully you can find out what wires to switch!

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Help!!! Anyone who did a VR6 swap in their car... (VWguy)

Bump http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Re: (psycocarat89)

Could someone tell me where the yellow connector goes, all I know is it’s not part of the stock engine harness, and the motor I got for a swap doesn’t have this wire any where around.

Modified by vw_4ever at 12:33 AM 5-24-2003

·
Forum Elder
5,627 Posts
Re: (vw_4ever)

yellow sensor feeds your coolant temp gauge off of two pins.. the other two are for the fan afterrun/coolant pump afterrun circuit.
R

1 - 20 of 22 Posts