VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after long trips (from LA to Riverside, about 70 miles) if i turn the car off it won't turn on again, last time the triple A guy just hit the started with a long screwdriver and it turned on. dangit!, i checked how much to change the starter last time it happened and it was like 170 bux. is there a cheaper way??????
by the way when i try to start it the engine won't turn and i just hear a click but the starter doesn't kick in

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Re: HELP! Cabby won't start after long trips (UbberRabbit)

does your car happen to be automatic? if so is very common that the heat shield that covers the starter gets removed by previous owners or falls, since the starter is right next to the exhaust manifold it gets too hot and will lock, eventually failing, requiring a lot more juice to turn when hot
this can be solved by installing the heatshield back and or installing a "ford" starter solenoid in between to power the starter directly from the battery when you crank it
if is standard trans, then the starter needs to be replaced, you can find starters for a lot less used or get it rebuilt at a battery/alternator/starter place it should cost you about 70 - 90 bucks

·
Registered
411 Posts
well if he used a screwdriver this tells me that its the solenoid isnt strong enough or isnt working properly, their usually cheap to replace, dont know bout on the vw's but on my fords they are cheap.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
Re: (CodyC)

If he used a screwdriver to start it I'd guess it's a manual since the you have to be a contortionist to get to the starter on the automatic.
However, Steve's right on the money about using a starter relay to boost the starting current available to the solenoid. I'm sure the starter is ok. This problem dates back to the 70's with Bosch starters. In fact Bosch now has a starter relay kit to solve the problem. However Ford relays are still cheaper.

·
Registered
7,481 Posts
Re: (Moljinar)

Quote, originally posted by Moljinar »
In fact Bosch now has a starter relay kit to solve the problem. However Ford relays are still cheaper.

I have a such kit on my cabby, it solved the problem, i got it through a friend who works for the VW dealer, they call it a 'hot start kit'. its just a relay and a couple of wires basically, its a cheap solution

1 - 6 of 6 Posts