VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here is the situation, I have an 87 16v with a 2litre block under a 1.8 head, I know the car has Schrick 268 intake, and 272 exhaust cams in it, as well as Nology coil amp, Nology wires, new distributer, Autotech power module, and anything else you can think of. But only on occasion, and I would say it happens about 50% of the time the car dies after 5500 rpm, seems like what I would figure as a rich condition, but I don't know this for sure. This was someone elses car and I'm figuring this out little by little. Just looking for some advice if somone can give it.
Shawn

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Re: Help, Car Falling on its face above 5500? Any Ideas? (Woody0371)

it may be your timing or your 2nd fuel pump in your gas tank does it do it when it is warm or can you hear a buzzzzzzz from the back seat

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Re: Help, Car Falling on its face above 5500? Any Ideas? (wolf rocco)

some times it can be a fuel filter or the screen on the intank pump can clog and starve the motor
give that a shot take out you back seat take off that black cap and go into the tank and clean off the screen
mine use to act up when the weather was hot out or a ran with like a 1/4 tank bu tmine was a 8v so i think anything over 85 had a 2 pump system
good luck

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Re: Help, Car Falling on its face above 5500? Any Ideas? (wolf rocco)

Sounds like your running out of fuel pressure,1) I'd replace the fuel filter if it hasn't been done recently, 4)check the flow rate of in tank pump,2) make sure ignition timing is ~ 6 deg,3) and the check your WOT switch. It'll be on of those.
Easiest first, good luck

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I'll look into all of that as soon as the temp is comfortable enough to do it. Thanks guys.
Shawn

·
Registered
1,424 Posts

If you want to make the trip to richmond, we can check it out in the shop. We have heat

·
Registered
11,364 Posts

Get rid of that Nology crap first.. that may just solve it, it not move on from there. OEM ignition parts are king on these motors, stay away from crap like Nology, Jacobs, etc.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Car came with all the stuff on it, I have heard both sides of the story about the extra crap on it, I would be all for starting at ground zero, but with cams and such just didn't know if it would be a good idea or not. I'm leaning towards the fuel starvation problem myself, just have to take the time to look into it....
Shawn

·
Registered
9,365 Posts

sound like fuel starvation to me, also does ur car miss or backfire at all at the 5500 mark, if so I have seen a bad coil do something like that. but it sounds like fuel starvation. possibly something clogged that is resticting fuel flow.
just my .02$ from my experience

1 - 9 of 9 Posts