VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend and I switched cars for a short cruise today, he's got a nicely modded '97 Civic EX, and we've been wanting to test out each other's cars. After about 15min of driving, he pulls over in my car and says it won't go into 2nd
I dunno what he did, or if it was just bad timing, but I could use some help:
It won't shift smoothly into 2nd. If I push down a little (like going into reverse) it'll go in, with a little wiggling. If I just try to shift normally, it gets stuck/grinds. 2nd gear works fine, no strange noises if I start off in 2nd, only has a problem when shifting. I think it's the shift linkage somewhere, he's used to his honda tranny with a short-throw shifter, so maybe he was shifting my car extra hard. I checked the linkage under the hood, everything is clipped in/screwed in as it should be. So I think it's part of the linkage around the actual lever, specifically the "ball" that the lever pivots on (a click comes from right near the ball when I try to go into 2nd). Any ideas? He apologized and offered to help fix it, but I need the car for an autocross school this saturday! I can't autox with no 2nd gear! Thanks for any help

·
Registered
9,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: HELP! Car won't go into 2nd! (M4vrick)

Some good news: It ain't a syncro!
The little ball that the shifter pivots on is chipped on one side, which makes the spring around the shift rod catch on the plate when I try to go into 2nd, resulting in a halfway-into-gear grinding noise. He must've really jammed it into 2nd
I'll have to talk to him tomorrow. I'm taking it to SRS tomorrow afternoon, hopefully they'll be able to get it fixed

·
Registered
57 Posts
Re: HELP! Car won't go into 2nd! (VR6Slvr)

same thing happen to me i let my boy drive my car for a boot he came back telling me i have no second gear,,he blew my snychro..and yes he is a honda driver,,he was power shifting,,,so a bought a new tranny and oe clutch now it run mint,,,

·
Registered
9,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: HELP! Car won't go into 2nd! (spoonie)

I know that the ball thing below the shifter it a big part of the problem, that's what's catching when it goes into gear....I really hope it isn't a syncro
If it is, he'll be paying for it

·
Registered
9,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: HELP! Car won't go into 2nd! (Loud-Gtivr6)

My car is fixed
Went to SRS this afternoon, turns out the small tin plate below the console was bent. Apparently my friend really ripped it back into 2nd, partly depressing it into reverse-lockout in the process, which caused the shifter arm to snag on the tin guide plate and pull up one corner. Tapped the plate back down into place, the shifter doesn't snag any more

Now to install my o-bar and raise the car up for the autox tomorrow...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.