VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for advice on where to start troubleshooting. On the way home I depressed the clutch to turn onto my street. It went to the floor super eazy. I tried to downshift but couldn't get it to shift. As if the clutch wasn't depressed. I was able to coast home. The clutch cable is intact. I can reach under the hood and move the arm the cable attaches to on the tranny fairly easily.
This is an 84 Jetta with a 5 speed FF tranny. Did a motor swap about 2 month ago. Installed a 1.8 JH from a Rabbit GTI. Been running great up til now.
Is the tranny toast? Is there anything someone can suggest as a starting point. I have the Bentley and am about to review, just wanted some help from the Tex.
Thanks

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
Re: Help Clutch went to the floor and now doesn't work (JamminJetta)

****ty deal man.. and my advice was to check the clutch cable. that happened to me, was the cable.. 10 minute fix.
sounds like something has gone wrong in the transmission department for sure. did you try looking at where the clutch pedal hooks into the cable under the dash to see if its come free?

·
Registered
3,809 Posts

the cable is shot. even though it is still there, check where it exits the firewall. they usually fail where they come thru the wall, you can probably see the broken outer skin where the interior wire cable has bunched up. its a 15 dollar part at the dealer

·
Registered
4,387 Posts

I've had this happen to me when I first purchased my rabbit. It was the clutch cable. It had snapped completely, but I replaced it pretty easily. My first inclination with your issue would be that the clutch cable is bad. I would go back and check it again. Make sure it's on the pedal, also. Good luck. I'm having tranny issues, too, mang. We need a support group. Oh yeah, it's the 'Tex! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
6,941 Posts

Quote, originally posted by JamminJetta »
I can reach under the hood and move the arm the cable attaches to on the tranny fairly easily.

the question that NEEDS to be answered it:
how "easy" and how high up can you lift it?
if you can lift it higher than the top of the tranny as if you're gonna swing it into the airbox than it is not the cable
its the operator lever for the throwout bearing

1 - 5 of 5 Posts