VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
5,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the other day my aux pump cracked,
i bought the updated bolted aux pump from adirondack.
i flush the system, refilled,
started the car with cap off.
let idle and get up to operating temp.
fan never came on
placed cap on...still no fan.
let the car cool down. took the cap off.
tried to add coolant again.
this time, it ran for about five mins...then the coolant started bubbling out like a volcano.
the hoses that aattach to the aux pump were not hot.
the rest of the hoses...the ones that goes to the therm housing and fan are hot.
WHAT THE HELL COULD BE THE PROBLEM!!!???
[waterfest is in 2 days... ]
we did everything according to the bently manual...and still the fan wont go on.

· Registered
10,988 Posts
Re: HELP! Coolant flush/Aux Pump replaced....volcano madness.... (SuckaFree)

Jay, as soon as the coolant starts bubbling, you have to cap it. Once it goes down, slowly take the cap back off and repeat the process. When it starts bubbling, is because the air is trying to escape. Cap it so the system can pressurize. You can take off the cap with no problem SLOWLY after you cap it because the system isnt fully pressurized due to the fact that you had it running from the get-go with no cap. I had to do the same on my old Gti right after we did the crossflow swap. The fan isnt turning on because there is too much air in your system. So all that is moving is air pockets. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
8,224 Posts
Re: HELP! Coolant flush/Aux Pump replaced....volcano madness.... (VRpoweredA2)

Quote, originally posted by VRpoweredA2 »
Jay, as soon as the coolant starts bubbling, you have to cap it. Once it goes down, slowly take the cap back off and repeat the process. When it starts bubbling, is because the air is trying to escape. Cap it so the system can pressurize. You can take off the cap with no problem SLOWLY after you cap it because the system isnt fully pressurized due to the fact that you had it running from the get-go with no cap. I had to do the same on my old Gti right after we did the crossflow swap. The fan isnt turning on because there is too much air in your system. So all that is moving is air pockets. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

what he said

· Registered
5,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: HELP! Coolant flush/Aux Pump replaced....volcano madness.... (bret97GT)

one thing that still is weird.
the hoses that connect to the aux pump are still cold after running...
they are warm...but not blazing hot like the rest of the hoses..
you think the pump isnt working?

· Registered
4,014 Posts

just had the exact same issue yesterday - slapped in a new waterpump, problem solved.. I tried capping & recapping to get pressure, but it didn't work for me.. hopefully it'll work for you..

· Registered
5,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: HELP! Coolant flush/Aux Pump replaced....volcano madness.... (candela!)

the problem is...that there is new waterpump...but the fan still wont turn on...
lets say...the pump doesnt work..but fluids are still circulating...
i hook up a external switch for the fan...
so when the temp rises...i can manually turn on the fan to cool down the car...
yes?
no?

· Registered
South Florida
9,104 Posts
Re: HELP! Coolant flush/Aux Pump replaced....volcano madness.... (candela!)

Thermostat is stuck closed, this is why some of your hoses are not hot. The thermo fan switch does not sense that the coolant is hot(its on the other sid of the thermostat) because the thermostat is not allowing the coolant to flow, thus your fan isn't going on. Change the thermostat and you should be good to go.

· Registered
South Florida
9,104 Posts

There is no plug on the thermostat, the only thing that controls it is heat. So when the engin gets hot it is supposed to open up and let the coolant through. It is located behind the thermostat housing. remove the outlet flange and its right there.

· Registered
4,722 Posts

when i had my 2.0 i had a bubbling volcano of coolant...the guy at the shop told me that when u put it in first fillin it up, u need to let it run for 30 mins so it can get sucked into the system....everytime i would hit the throttle it would bubble up and pour out...so i dunno u could try letting it run....while it sucks it in...and fill it up if it gets low...dont know if itll work but its a suggestion... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.