VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well I finally washed Ramonah the other day and afterward I noticed the coolant light contiunally flashed at me, I drove it home and also noticed that the temp gauge doesnt seem to be working, Its a 90 GTI digi-crap. I've checked all the obvious, coolant level, hoses, wiring(coolant sensor, fan switch). It didn't run any different than normal and when I drove it today didnt overheat or anything. Could this be something in the gauge cluster ? Electrical ? If I dont mess with it tonight I'm gonna take the gauge cluster out and see if it got any water damage or something. I hope no water is leaking through the bottom of the windshield but I'm not sure what else could be wrong ? anyone......

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Re: HELP, coolant light stays on, gauge doesnt work (grabbit)

maybe you knocked off the sensor wire. The sensor for the gauge is underneath the coolant flange coming from the cylinder head. Brown connector I believe....

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: HELP, coolant light stays on, gauge doesnt work (The_Jerbel)

I'll check that out, thanks

·
Registered
461 Posts
Re: HELP, coolant light stays on, gauge doesnt work (grabbit)

I have experienced this exact problem. And me not fixing it in a timely matter caused me to do a head gasket job...long story.
My problem, one of the nuts vibrated off the back on the gauge and it was not grounding. I discovered the only thing that makes the gauges both flash and not work is a lack of grounding, so a disconnected sensor wire is not likely to produce the same symptoms.
Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts