VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 87 Gti w/1.8L engine. I am installing a set of aftermarket pulleys, and changed all of them, except the crank pulley. I have managed to take the four smaller hex nuts out, but cannot figure out how to remove the larger 17MM? bolt. Any help?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Re: HELP! crank pulley bolt (VDUB8V87)

get someone to put it in gear and keep on the brake while you pull it off. And you could use a pry bar on the fly wheel, but I'm not a huge fan of that. I did both to get mine off; a long pipe on the wrench helps too.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
249 Posts

good luck i just went through this i needed a crank pulley for my car the keyway sheared off anyway i tryed to get one off of a 91 jetta car in gear and someone on the brakes i wasn't doing much more than lifting the motor off the mounts i didnt have the time to jack it way up for a long bar then i went to a yard the guy tryed 4 different motors with a 1/2 impact wrench couldn't get one off but if you jack it up high car in gear and someone on the brakes breaker bar and you should be good to go

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Re: HELP! crank pulley bolt (jolow)

WAIT!
Are you just talking about removing the crank pulley that drives the V belts? You don't need to remove the big center nut, and it's really hard to get it tightened back on too! You only need to remove that if you're changing the crank sprocket that drives the timing belt. Once you remove the 4 smaller bolts you hook a gear puller and the pulley will side off with the center nut in place.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Re: HELP! crank pulley bolt (Vdubs)

quote:[HR][/HR]Yea, no need to remove the big bolt just the 4 allen bolts.[HR][/HR]​
Yeah like he said!! I just had mine off two days ago, and unless you're taking the toothed sprocket off, you don't need to pull the center bolt.
I ended up just hitting it with a rubber mallet a bunch of times to "loosen" it up a little.
If you take the sprocket off, be sure you are REALLY careful putting it back on correctly!
Good luck http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Re: HELP! crank pulley bolt (gti312)

there is an easier way

put the socket on a breaker bar that will reach the ground or put a pipe extension on
posistion the breaker bar so that it is on the front side (pointing forwards)
hit the starter (don't start the car) so it turns over......
done it a million times, well not really, but still (mechanic told me about this)

·
Registered
13,096 Posts

Hopefully you've read the other posts that are correct - the 12 pt 17 (or 19MM) crank bolt does NOT require removal to change the pulley. If a rubber mallet hasn't helped, try prying GENTLY from behind the pulley with a pry bar - just be careful that the pulley doesn't pop loose and fall since they aren't exactly light.

·
Registered
13,096 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]so i only need to remove the four small hex nuts, and try to tap the pulley off w/ a soft mallet?[HR][/HR]​
Yup - the 12 point bolt holds the lower cam gear to the crank. The pulley is a fairly snug fit and usually bonds nicely with the crank nose so it takes a bit of persuassion to get it loose - just don't beat the crap out of it - remember, you're beating on the crank...

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Re: HELP! crank pulley bolt (mgyip)

also, pulleys tend to be kinda weak metal. Avoid stressing the edges too hard. Gear pullers work because they grab on 3 or 4 spots at once. prybar might be okay. be gentle if you use percussive maintenance.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Re: HELP! crank pulley bolt (jolow)

quote:[HR][/HR]good luck i just went through this i needed a crank pulley for my car the keyway sheared off anyway i tryed to get one off of a 91 jetta car in gear and someone on the brakes i wasn't doing much more than lifting the motor off the mounts i didnt have the time to jack it way up for a long bar then i went to a yard the guy tryed 4 different motors with a 1/2 impact wrench couldn't get one off but if you jack it up high car in gear and someone on the brakes breaker bar and you should be good to go
[HR][/HR]​
I'm a witness to this,it was from my 91 parts car!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: HELP! crank pulley bolt (Caleb)

quote:[HR][/HR]Where did you get your aftermarket pulleys? I have seen ones that just replace the crank pulley but not a full set of them. Please share.[HR][/HR]​
i got a set of unorthodox racing pulleys from NOPI.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.