VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I spoke with VW of A this morning trying to find out why my 2 years of bumper-to-bumper warranty was set to expire 3 months early. They explained to me that my warranty had actually started 3 months before I even got the car! Has anyone ever heard of this happening? What can I do? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Re: HELP! Dealership used up part of my warranty BEFORE I BOUGHT THE CAR???!!! (Justin_In_SanDiego)

Wow, it sounds like the dealer registered it before you bought it so they could drive it around.
That's just my first thought.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Re: HELP! Dealership used up part of my warranty BEFORE I BOUGHT THE CAR???!!! (Justin_In_SanDiego)

Well, warranties start on the date of purchase. You have an invoice with that date. Add two years to it and that's when it will expire. If they give you crap about it, just have the invoice with you for proof and tell that dealer to F Off!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Re: HELP! Dealership used up part of my warranty BEFORE I BOUGHT THE CAR???!!! (clarkma5)

quote:[HR][/HR]Wow, it sounds like the dealer registered it before you bought it so they could drive it around.
That's just my first thought.[HR][/HR]​
EXACTLY! That is the ONLY legal way this could've happened. Find out from VWoA who the car was ORIGINALLY registered to. If it was registered in someone else's name and they sold it to you as a new car. The report that dealership to VWoA. Make sure you have your paper work That is illegal!! Also one other note, whe you bought the car did you sign a piece of paper that said something to the effect of " REMAINDER of factory warranty? If they represented this car and sold it to you as new then that car must BY LAW have warranty that starts from the date purchased.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: HELP! Dealership used up part of my warranty BEFORE I BOUGHT THE CAR???!!! (clarkma5)

clarkma5:
Yeah, that's what VWA said, that somehow the dealership had been using the warranty for test drives or something. Is this a normal practice among dealerships? They told me I would get 2 years of warranty, never mentioned anything about it starting before I even got the car. Am I totally screwed here or what?
MarksManB:
That's what I would have thought too. The customer service rep at VW of America didn't seem to see it that way though. I even explained that I had my purchase papers in front of me with the correct date but they told me it made no difference.
If VW wont even help me I doubt the dealership is going to do anything about it, so I have no idea what I could do to make them honor the warranty.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts

It most definetely isn't standard practice for the dealership to use the warranty. If that's what they did, I'm reasonably sure they can't sell it as a new car, and, seeing as how they did, that would be illegal.

·
Registered
768 Posts

On your contract: Is there somewhere that states the fact that the warranty start date was altered? Also, was it represented as a NEW vehicle. VWoA MUST adhere to the contract. But READ you contract thoroughly ALL PAGES, before you make this too big. ALOT of stuff gets signed quickly because of the excitement of the purchase. This is a trick used my 90% of F&I managers at ALL dealerships. put it in fine print and say " sign here initial here sign and date here, Thank you {hide the paper you just signed} and move to the next page. MAY YOU ALL BE WARNED!!! I left Auto sales because of lack of ethics. I sold Porsches for 5 years and Audi's 3 years prior. So you see no vehicle make is immune to unethical practices. It's all about the buck.

[Modified by wagenspeed, 6:23 PM 8-2-2002]

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: HELP! Dealership used up part of my warranty BEFORE I BOUGHT THE CAR???!!! (wagenspeed)

I will check my contract(s) when I get home from work. If there was some special provision for partially expired warranty it was only on paper, they NEVER mentioned anything about it, the car was sold to me as a new car. Thanks so much for the helpful replies, anyone else who might have additional info please post!

·
Registered
2,730 Posts

We bought my Jetta as a demo car with 1600 miles. I was curious about when the warranty started, so I called VWoA, and the warranty started on the date we purchased the car

·
Registered
462 Posts

DUDE that sucks I would be super P-ED if that were my ride, if you bought a NEW car and warranty work had been done on it 3 months before then the dealer tried to pull a fast one on you! if the dealer doesn't make good you could probably get a lawyer and make the dealership buy you a new car, i'm serious that it a very big no-no on the dealerships part

·
Registered
768 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]I will check my contract(s) when I get home from work. If there was some special provision for partially expired warranty it was only on paper, they NEVER mentioned anything about it, the car was sold to me as a new car. Thanks so much for the helpful replies, anyone else who might have additional info please post!
[HR][/HR]​
Make sure you verify who the car was originally titled to. They may have used the car for a "service car loaner" In this case the car must be titled and they CANNOT sell it as new. So if it was "titled" to the selling dealership. Present your contract to an attorney and show him that it was sold as new. You will either get a NEW car depending on how old the car is, for fraudulently selling you a "new" car, or they will extend your warranty. Probably the latter.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: HELP! Dealership used up part of my warranty BEFORE I BOUGHT THE CAR???!!! (NC-GTI)

I think there were around 200 miles on the car when I got it. I believe they told me it had been test driven (plus it had been driven between dealerships) but they said nothing about this affecting my warranty. I had been waiting since september to get the new 17" rims but I finally gave up in december and just took the one they could get from a nearby dealership. I didn't know at all until I was about to take it in for my 20k service and they mentioned the expiration date on the 2 year warranty.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Re: HELP! Dealership used up part of my warranty BEFORE I BOUGHT THE CAR???!!! (MarksManB)

quote:[HR][/HR]Well, warranties start on the date of purchase. You have an invoice with that date. Add two years to it and that's when it will expire. If they give you crap about it, just have the invoice with you for proof and tell that dealer to F Off![HR][/HR]​
1. Telling dealers to "F Off" is not a recommended approach to get the dealer to work with you.
2. Warranties begin when the car is placed in service. Read your warranty.

[Modified by dmkozak, 12:52 AM 8-4-2002]

·
Registered
768 Posts
Re: HELP! Dealership used up part of my warranty BEFORE I BOUGHT THE CAR???!!! (dmkozak)

quote:[HR][/HR]Well, warranties start on the date of purchase. You have an invoice with that date. Add two years to it and that's when it will expire. If they give you crap about it, just have the invoice with you for proof and tell that dealer to F Off!
You may want to F Off yourself. Warranties begin when the car is placed in service. Read your warranty.[HR][/HR]​
Well ...since you are the all know it. Did you realize if a car is put in service it has been titled? Hence Registered, Hence unsaleable as a new car

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Re: HELP! Dealership used up part of my warranty BEFORE I BOUGHT THE CAR???!!! (brent0226)

Yes, it should not matter. If you buy a Demo car they should start the warranty from the day you bought it, not the day they decided for the test drivers.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Re: HELP! Dealership used up part of my warranty BEFORE I BOUGHT THE CAR???!!! (wagenspeed)

quote:[HR][/HR]
Well ...since you are the all know it. Did you realize if a car is put in service it has been titled? Hence Registered, Hence unsaleable as a new car[HR][/HR]​
Sorry, but you are wrong. Actually, you are so wrong. The car is put in service when the dealership puts a plate on it and drives it. This can happen if the car is a demo, if the car is a loaner, or if a dealership employee is driving the car to and from the dealership. In all of those cases the car remains untitled. It will be sold as a new car, but with less than the full amount of warranty time remaining.
Registration is very different than ownership, i.e. titling.

[Modified by dmkozak, 12:54 AM 8-4-2002]

·
Banned
1,201 Posts
Re: HELP! Dealership used up part of my warranty BEFORE I BOUGHT THE CAR???!!! (dmkozak)

very true, very true. if you see plates bearing small letters saying DRL that's the give away. there are different types of lic. plates with special purpose. anyway just to clear up some stuff about who uses it in the dealerships, it's the sales dept. and non of the mechanics/techs touch it. only during PDI where i was allowed to smell the new car scent, rub my ass on the plastic seat covers and feel the plush carpet separated by paper floor mats. all this takes 1/2 hr. and mostly on the rack. i also have my own momento that i leave for the new owner and that is.... not going to tell you, you might recognize me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Re: HELP! Dealership used up part of my warranty BEFORE I BOUGHT THE CAR???!!! (ATO)

Here's a little known fact. I'm in the car business, have been in sales for ten+ years. The warranty starts ticking on a car when it is REPORTED SOLD by the dealership. This does not neccesarily mean it has been registered! It is a common and frustrating practice among dealerships. Each month, they report all vehicle sales to the manufacturer, but they do not have to title/register the car to do so! The idea is that the manufacturer will see how many units have been sold and increase the dealer's allocation of new cars.
Also, there is the possiblity that the dealership sold the car and reported it, only to have the client not qualify or change thier mind and unwind the deal. This may have been the case.
Try this....ask the dealer for a VMI (Vehicle Master Inquiry) printout on your car. This is the history of your car. It will reflect the in-service date (when your warranty started ticking) and any work completed on the car covered by the warranty. See if any service was done on your car before your purchase date. They may have punched the warranty to fix something on the car before it was sold. At least this might explain what happened.
I would be surprised if VW really sticks it to you. It is entirely possible and realistic for them to honor your warranty for the extra three months.
Feel free to e-mail me if you like. I would be happy to help. I hate to see dealerships doing this kind of thing. Makes us all look bad.

[Modified by cparson4, 8:27 PM 8-3-2002]

·
Registered
406 Posts
Re: HELP! Dealership used up part of my warranty BEFORE I BOUGHT THE CAR???!!! (brent0226)

quote:[HR][/HR]We bought my Jetta as a demo car with 1600 miles. I was curious about when the warranty started, so I called VWoA, and the warranty started on the date we purchased the car
[HR][/HR]​
Actually, that happened to us with the Jetta. they said they got the car we wnated in and they promised 700 miles for the same price and warranty. Turned out to be 1400 miles. We said Buh-Bye. That evening, we had a 2 mile Jetta.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.