VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up this beaautiful GLi, So, coming from the 2.5 to this motor I'm basically blind. Haven't had any issues other than a low coolant light(which was low)but, any idea what this is leaking from?? I cleaned it up as you can see, but it's right around that silver bolt.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Could you snap a few more pics, maybe a few from further out. It looks like the leak may be higher up and is running down and finally dripping off that screw. I'm pretty sure your water pump sits above that area. Few more pics will help.

Put the phone down and Drive!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sure, I've looked above and don't see any major leakage. I also forgot to mention this in on the drivers side below kind of wear the intake tube sits. I don't see anything really leaking down from the transmission.

Okay, here we go man.. so, looks like you could be right. Theres quite a bit of old and new oil blown all over the damn place in the first photo. Does the vacuum pump leak like on the 2.5 motors as well? Ideas? Thanks man!

I'm way too OCD for this haha

·
Registered
66 Posts
If I remember correctly, i think there is a sensor there that plugs in the the timing chain cover. Could be leaking oil there.
Or am i thinking about the 2.0FSI.......
d

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
If I remember correctly, i think there is a sensor there that plugs in the the timing chain cover. Could be leaking oil there.
Or am i thinking about the 2.0FSI.......
d
This is the FSi motor, but isn't the timing chain on the passenger side?? I just don't know what the common leaks are for this motor yet and can't seem to find much info.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Could be leaking from the timing chain cover or vacuum pump. You need to take the intake tube off and possibly the battery box out and clean the entire area. If you are lucky the oil will be coming from the timing cover / vacuum pump. If the oil is coming from lower down it could possibly be the rear main seal. Both are common areas of leakage in the FSI engine. One easy to fix, one not so easy....

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm sorry, I thought we were talking about a coolant leak. Anyway, mine started out as a low coolant warning every 4 or 5 days. Never saw a leak, or a puddle or steam or anything like that. This guy was difficult to diagnose. I noticed a small pool of coolant near the shift linkage one day. Mine also required lots of cleaning around that area. Oil seemed to be on most surfaces down there.

Put the phone down and Drive!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well took it to VW and it's the damn Vacuum pump... better than the rear main though. Also, it says I have a "Leak from turbo tuner" whatever the **** that means. So, before I replace the vacuum pump they don't make a delete kit do they? I can't find one ?

·
Registered
130 Posts
As far as I know there is not a way to delete the vac. pump. I have had some success using gasket sealer to re-seal a leaky vac pump if it is leaking from the outer most cover. If it is leaking from the other side of the pump, you just need to replace the o-ring. Its a very simple repair.

The vac pumps are a non-serviceable item, so any leak essentially requires replacement in the eyes of audi/vw.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As far as I know there is not a way to delete the vac. pump. I have had some success using gasket sealer to re-seal a leaky vac pump if it is leaking from the outer most cover. If it is leaking from the other side of the pump, you just need to replace the o-ring. Its a very simple repair.

The vac pumps are a non-serviceable item, so any leak essentially requires replacement in the eyes of audi/vw.
Thanks man, I deleted the pump on my 2.5 so, I think an O-ring and sealant could definitely be my cheap fix out, hopefully.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.