VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great. I got my first speeding ticket ever tonight, on the way from Iowa City to Fairfield. It occurred in Washington county, which is known for (BLEEEP) cops. Ironically, I had been driving at the speed limit, when I came upon a car going slower than I was, as happens frequently on these rural two-lanes. I waited for a passing zone with good visibility, shifted down to 3rd and floored it. The distant oncoming car was a brand-new Chevy Malibu driven by a young cop, who couldn't have been much older than myself. He was so pleased that he couldn't hold back a big smile when he told me that he'd clocked me at 84 in a 55.
The ticket states that I was clocked at 84, but that I was being charged with going 70 in a 55. The cop told me that I would've lost my license if I had been charged with going over 80 in a 55, which I think is bull, because I know people who've been pulled over for going 80+ in a 55 less than a mile from where I was.
Since this is my first ticket ever, I'm hoping to find some way to have the points reduced. Iowa residents know that rural two-lane passing zones are short and poorly placed. If a driver is legally supposed to pass at a speed no greater than 55, what is the LEGAL protocol if an oncoming car appears, making it necessary to speed up in order to avoid a head-on collision? I only passed quickly to avoid possible oncoming traffic, not to show off to the driver whom I passed. Might that hold in court? I'm going to check out "The Code of Iowa", but I know that that'll be tedious at best. If any of you knows more about applicable Iowa laws, I would greatly appreciate it if you could offer your advice.
Thanks,
Dallas

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Re: HELP!!! Fighting a Speeding Ticket in IOWA (DallasD)

I'm from WDM, Iowa and everyone I've talked to about trying to fight a ticket basically has the same answer, DON'T BOTHER. I've heard of like 2 people winning their cases. It's not really worth your time, cuz you have to go down to the courthouse one day, then they assign you a courtdate, then you have to go to that. Basically unless you're really worried about insurance rates etc. I wouldn't bother. Besides the guy did bring it down for you, 25 and over you could lose your license. And in your case the judge would probably be like "Why didn't you just brake instead of accelerate more? Why weren't you being a defensive driver? etc. etc. etc." And if you're young, they'll try to "make an example" of you, and "teach you a lesson" Yep, it's all a buncha crap but they do have the say-so.

·
Registered
916 Posts

Last time i went through Iowa, I got pulled over just accross the border coming in from IL. The ticket was so cheap (compared to here in WI), I asked the cop if I could pay double right there and speed throught the rest of the state. The cop did get a good laugh out of that but he wouldn't agree to it

Try to fight it, you can usually get some kind of reduction just by taking the effort of going though the process. At least that has been my experience. I used the "speeding up to make a quick and safe pass" defense once and the cop let me go with a verbal warning!!
Good luck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: HELP!!! Fighting a Speeding Ticket in IOWA (SLC PUNK-187)

I spoke with a friend of mine who's been a long-time speeder in Cedar Rapids IA. He's gotten innumerable tickets, and had his license suspended, and he also suggested that I just pay it and forget it. Oh well.

·
Banned
1,996 Posts

go in to court and ask them for all of the calibration sheets for the officers radar gun!!
It really works if your serious about it!

·
Registered
106 Posts

I don't think the calibration part will work. Most police do the tuning fork calibration test at least two or three times a year. And anyways almost all radars in police cars do a self calibration test every 15 minutes. If there is a problem, the radar automatically shuts down and will not let you check the speed of vehicles.
Your best bet may be going thorugh an attorney and getting the charge ammended to a non-moving violation....

·
Banned
1,996 Posts
Re: HELP!!! Fighting a Speeding Ticket in IOWA (kcjetta)

i believe its every month and they have to have written proof of this. If you go in there and act serious they will drop your ticket cause they dont have time to deal with you.
Just try it what will it hurt?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Re: HELP!!! Fighting a Speeding Ticket in IOWA (Gerapudo)

Trust me on this issue..you don't need to have the radar calibrated every month. I know this to be a fact. You can play the odds and hope the officer doesn't show up or get a lawyer to get the charge ammended. Or ask the judge for mercy....

·
Registered
874 Posts
Re: HELP!!! Fighting a Speeding Ticket in IOWA (Gerapudo)

quote:[HR][/HR]i believe its every month and they have to have written proof of this. If you go in there and act serious they will drop your ticket cause they dont have time to deal with you.
Just try it what will it hurt?[HR][/HR]​
i tried this in Illinois - DuPage County. The judge just kept asking me "are you an expert?" "Do you have an expert witness to testify?" as he and the cop grinned at each other. i got supervision.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Re: HELP!!! Fighting a Speeding Ticket in IOWA (spaz_666)

your best bet is to show up at court.

Cause usually the officer won't.

case dismissed.

But you're lucky he dropped it down.

Typically, I think you usually get clocked at about 8 mph over what you were actually driving (or so most policemen will say)

at least that's been the case in all cars i've been pulled over in.

they will always drop it if you're nice to them.

I got an 88 in a 55 dropped to 64 mph. The ticket was like 40 bucks. Which is cheap compared to some horror stories (like Wisconsin) where they will hold you in jail if you're form out of state until you have funds available to pay your 400 dollar ticket.

just be glad it was in iowa, and not some state with higher rates.

But yes, it sounds like you got the shaft on that one if you are being honest about the scenerio.

When I pass someone who is going 55 mph though I never need to get much over 70 to get around them really quickly, unless they pull the white trash "oh god, someone is trying to get around me.. screw that" thing where they speed up.

Also it depends on how close you were to mashing grilles with the cop. if it was a close call, I can see why they would pull you over.

but yeah, fighting is usually worthless.. I don't thinkwe have 'points' so to speak here like other states.

and your insurance won't go up too much that I know of.

·
Registered
6,550 Posts

Anyone who doesn't fight a ticket is a lazy fool.
Iowa is not my home state and I don't know how the law works there. In Minnesota, most tickets can be plead down to a lesser charge and in nearly every case can be continued for dismissal if you don't get a second "same of simmilar" traffic violation in 6-12 months. Continued for dismissal means that if you don't commit a simmilar offense in the near future, the charges are dropped. Of course you pay a fee, but the fee is about the same as the fine, plus you avoid the conviction on your record.
To do this requires some effort, but I think it is worth it to play the game...

[Modified by briang, 11:25 AM 12-10-2001]

·
Registered
271 Posts
Re: HELP!!! Fighting a Speeding Ticket in IOWA (briang)

well in iowa tickets are cheap enough that the total cost (insurance plus ticket) may not be worth him taking a day off of work to go hassle with the issue.

at least in my case that was true.

·
Banned
12,115 Posts
Re: HELP!!! Fighting a Speeding Ticket in IOWA (volvo_skapunk)

Hi Luke! Fellow Iowa Stater here...
My two cents: Fighting in Iowa is STUPID. Iowa has a zero-tolerance regulation on speeders, and it does not pay to fight it. I can speak from experience. First off, you are from out of state. If you pay it, it will most likely transfer if you have a state that engages in reciprocity. That will go down in your home state as a conviction, no matter how big or small. If you don't pay it, you risk arrest.
Now, I tried to fight one. Their stance is you will have to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that you were NOT speeding. Not good odds. I even had a lawyer. Biggest waste of $400 I ever spent.
If you want the full story, you can email me. Bottom line, I was out $500, I still had to pay it, it went back to my home state and I lost my license for 3 months because I paid the damned stupid Ames PD tickets.
Just pay it and use a radar detector and common sense for next time.
[edit] Nevermind, you are an IA resident. Doesn't matter, they still have zero tolerance, and I wouldn't advise fighting it. You MIGHT get it plea bargained down, but I tried that and they said "no deal".

[Modified by mtrainVR6, 1:02 AM 12-11-2001]

·
Registered
271 Posts
Re: HELP!!! Fighting a Speeding Ticket in IOWA (mtrainVR6)

Hey there.

YEs. ISU in the house (or whatnot)

haha.

In my 7 years of living in Ames, I've never been pulled over for speeding, and I regularly cruise Elwood drive (45 and 35mph zones) at 60 mph.

I have met police headon and nothing.. Maybe it's being in a volvo or ghetto jetta that throws them off and makes then think the sports car I just passed was the one speeding.

I've only been ticketed once for speeding and it was on highway 30 by the Marshall County sherrif.

cut to 4 years later, and it's no big deal.. i'm sure its off my record.

The Ames PD has been pretty kind to me and my 'spirited' driving style. So I can't personally complain. A DPS woman pulled me over once for failing to stop (I had stopped) and I think she was just lookinf for suspicious cars full of kids that might have had alcohol.

but other than that, no worries here in Ames. I've never owned a radar detector.. IT would just make me paranoid I think.

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Re: HELP!!! Fighting a Speeding Ticket in IOWA (mtrainVR6)

mtrainVR6...
If you gave any hint that you wouldn't go to trial, the prosecution had no incentive to plead down. I'm so stubborn I'd let them pay to feed me while in JAIL and that would cost more that a fine...so then the prosecution will deal. Being out of state, the Iowegians knew you wouldn't take it that far...Me? I would, just to be an as$!

·
Registered
48 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]If a driver is legally supposed to pass at a speed no greater than 55, what is the LEGAL protocol if an oncoming car appears, making it necessary to speed up in order to avoid a head-on collision? [HR][/HR]​
The driver's manual (probably in all states) says that you should slow down and return in line.
I tend to pass with 10 over the limit. First I gunned it to ten over then hang in there. It will be a matter of seconds before you can make a lane change back. That is only if the other driver continues to maintain speed. If the other driver speed up, that prevents you from making a lane change in front the car. Use that excuse. Tell the judge that the car you were passing speed up for a second or so forcing you to go faster. I am sure the judge hear that excuse one too many times.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Re: HELP!!! Fighting a Speeding Ticket in IOWA (DeafBug)

Some days you eat the bar... other days, the bar eats you.

crappy stuff happens occasionally.

pay the ticket. I think it falls off your record in a year, so if you can keep to 3 tix or less in one year you are golden.

If not... Well I don't wanna share the road with ya anyway

·
Registered
936 Posts
Re: HELP!!! Fighting a Speeding Ticket in IOWA (volvo_skapunk)

Take the speeders anonymous class and you wont loose any points and your insurance wont find out either http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I just paid the ticket. Around here, a cat stuck up a tree makes sirens wail; odds are good that they'd have the resources to give my case special attention. I don't have the time or money to fight a $55 ticket.
As for passing at 10 over the limit, I wish it were that easy. The driver's manual here states that you have to see both of the passed car's headlights in your center rear-view mirror before moving back to the proper lane. Along that particular highway, there's only one such passing zone; the others require about 20 over the limit to avoid possible head-on collisions.
The laws are written (or in some cases, not written) to ensure that if they want to, they can get you for exceeding the speed limit, regardless of the circumstances.
For the record, I usually speed only when I'm keeping up with a lot of traffic.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts