VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got in the car this afternoon and as soon as a started driving I felt wobbling and notice my steering wheel was completely turning to the left. I got out of the car and notice that the drivers wheel was facing straight towards me as it should and the front passanger wheel was facing outward. Its also moved forward so that its completely rubbing on the fender??? Is this my wheel bearing?? My control arm bushings def need changing is that what it is or did my wheel bearing go and wheel is crooked? Please advise

·
Registered
13,731 Posts
Re: Help: front passanger wheel not parallel with drivers front (ayrula)

Could be lots of stuff. Wheel lug bolts, control arm bushings, subframe bolts...
Have you had the subrame off recently for clutch or engine repair, or front suspension, or steering gear service?

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
had new engine put in 2 months ago, the tow said it is my tie rod, does that make sense?

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Re: (ayrula)

Add ball joint to the list germancarnut51 posted.
It is difficult to say what the problem is without looking under the car.
The tie rod could make the tire point the wrong way but not move forward to rub the fender.

·
Registered
13,731 Posts
Re: (ayrula)

Since you had the engine replaced a couple of months ago, it's possible that the subrame bolts were not tighten properly and just now fell out, OR they were overtightened, the threads were stripped, and the bolts just got around to falling out.
What TOW?
A bent tie rod will not cause the wheel to rub the fender. Otherwise, the wheel would rub the fender every time to turn the steering wheel.
A bent control arm could cause a wheel to rub the fender at the back of the wheel well. Pretty common when you hit something.
Did you hit something, and not tell us?
You need to get the car lifted high enough to look crawl under and take a look. The problem should be obvious when you get under there.

Modified by germancarnut51 at 3:59 PM 5-31-2009

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
did not hit anything. This just happened yesterday where the wheel was facing outwards in comparison to the other wheel. I called a tow truch as I didn't want to drive that way, the wheel is moved a bit forward so it is rubbing the front part of the fender. I will have the car towed to *** Filtered for repeatedly violating our advertising rules *** tuesday

1 - 6 of 6 Posts