VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone else have this issue? seems rather counter-productive.

·
Registered
12,745 Posts
FV-QR

Never had this issue, all of my Audi/VWs had/have heated washer nozzles.
07 WBE should have cold weather pack (do you have heated seats?) and thus heated nozzles also. Maybe they've malfunctioned and you should contact your dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: help, frozen washer nozzles (sirswank)

When I bought my Rabbit a couple of weeks ago, the reservoir and pump were frozen solid. When I noticed and brought it in a day later, they told me it wouldn't be covered under warranty if it needed to be replaced (They ended up taking care of it).
I have the cold weather package, but 15-20 below for a week froze the reservoir on their lot. Check that before bringing it in. They'll probably just try to thaw it and charge you if it is.

·
Banned
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: help, frozen washer nozzles (42078)

my car is an oddity. it's an 07 jetta with the 2.0T and a 6 speed, but does not have heated or power seats, no MFA, basic premium 7 radio, no steering wheel controls, no fogs, no sunroof....
i think the car came from florida, (i got it used) so, no cold weather package. this explains it?
also, the washers work, just not first thing in the morning.

Modified by sirswank at 1:06 PM 2-3-2010

·
Registered
12,745 Posts

Probably not much you can do short of retro-fitting heated nozzles.
Ensure that you have the proper fluid in there, a southern car may have not had fluid with anti-freeze in it .

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Re: help, frozen washer nozzles (silverA4quattro)

Even having heated nozzles won't help you if the fluid is frozen in the reservoir or the lines. I think the assumption is that the nozzles are the most exposed part, while the rest will (eventually) get heat from the engine.
I don't think it's listed anywhere whether you have heated nozzles; it wasn't on my GLI's sticker, and I know I do have them (along with heated seats). But if you look next to your hood's passenger-side hinge -- if you see two lines there going up into the hood, I think one of them is the wiring for the heated nozzles. *edit* The VW web site says the heated nozzles are (at least now) standard on all Jetta versions.
Owner's manual says the heated nozzles ("where applicable") are "automatically controlled when the ignition is switched on, depending on outside temperature."
In any case, seeing as you're in Rhode Island, you really need to switch to winter washer fluid that has a much lower freezing point. I do, even down here in Maryland.

Modified by Marek K at 2:24 PM 2-3-2010

·
Registered
12,745 Posts
Re: help, frozen washer nozzles (Marek K)

Quote, originally posted by Marek K »
Even having heated nozzles won't help you if the fluid is frozen in the reservoir or the lines. I think the assumption is that the nozzles are the most exposed part, while the rest will (eventually) get heat from the engine.
I don't think it's listed anywhere whether you have heated nozzles; it wasn't on my GLI's sticker, and I know I do have them (along with heated seats). But if you look next to your hood's passenger-side hinge -- if you see two lines there going up into the hood, I think one of them is the wiring for the heated nozzles. *edit* The VW web site says the heated nozzles are (at least now) standard on all Jetta versions.
Owner's manual says the heated nozzles ("where applicable") are "automatically controlled when the ignition is switched on, depending on outside temperature."
In any case, seeing as you're in Rhode Island, you really need to switch to winter washer fluid that has a much lower freezing point. I do, even down here in Maryland.

Right, well I was assuming he'd checked the reservoir to ensure it wasn't a solid block if ice.
Heated washer nozzles are part of the cold weather package on VW/Audi products. If your car has heated seats, it's got heated washer jets for sure.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts

Quote, originally posted by silverA4quattro »
Right, well I was assuming he'd checked the reservoir to ensure it wasn't a solid block if ice.

Reservoir doesn't have to be frozen solid. If the lines are frozen, nothing will "squirch" until they thaw out... even if the nozzles are heated.
Heated washer nozzles are part of the cold weather package on VW/Audi products. If your car has heated seats, it's got heated washer jets for sure.

Well, like I said, all Jetta trim levels are supposed to have heated nozzles standard now. And earlier models should certainly have had them, since they had more standard features.

·
Banned
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

thanks... will do the following:
check for wires indicating heating elements
spike my washer fluid tank
i was unaware that there was "freezable" washer fluid, i thought they all were formulated not to freeze, however this is clearly not the case. in any event, it's not the res that is the problem, it's definitely the nozzles/fluid.

·
Registered
12,745 Posts

Reservoir doesn't have to be frozen solid. If the lines are frozen, nothing will "squirch" until they thaw out... even if the nozzles are heated.
Well, like I said, all Jetta trim levels are supposed to have heated nozzles standard now. And earlier models should certainly have had them, since they had more standard features.

Seriously? What are you on about. I'm perfectly aware that it doesn't have to be frozen solid. You're not talking to a 12 year old girl, FYI.
Also, heated washer nozzles were part of the cold weather pack up until (according to you) now. On an 07, no heated seats...no heated nozzles. I lived in Upstate NY for 25 years where temps regularly were below zero so I know how this stuff works. Either the OP has non-antifreeze fluid that has frozen (partially or otherwise) or his nozzles froze, period, end of story.

·
Registered
12,745 Posts

Quote, originally posted by sirswank »

i was unaware that there was "freezable" washer fluid, i thought they all were formulated not to freeze, however this is clearly not the case. in any event, it's not the res that is the problem, it's definitely the nozzles/fluid.

Well up north where we live it's pretty much all you can buy, usually it's good to at least -25 F. Down south it's a different story completely, they don't put an antifreeze component in the stuff they sell down there typically.

·
Banned
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

well thanks for the help. here's hoping some "real" stuff won't be diluted by the blue water that's in there now.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts

Seriously? What are you on about. I'm perfectly aware that it doesn't have to be frozen solid. You're not talking to a 12 year old girl, FYI.

Wow.
Be nice. I wasn't being nasty to you (certainly not intentionally), and I realize I'm not talking to a 12 year old girl. Or boy.
You're the one who used the term "block of ice;" I didn't. All I'd said was that his reservoir or the lines could be frozen, and that heated nozzles wouldn't help that.
Regarding standard heated nozzles, all I said was that now, all Jettas come with heated nozzles -- no matter what option package.
I see on Edmunds.com that in 2007 the base Jetta didn't have heated nozzles, but that "Heated Windshield Washer Jets" were standard on the Wolfburg Edition. So if that's correct, the OP does have heated nozzles -- they're just not helping, because (I'm convinced) his washer fluid is freezing farther down, like in the lines.
Despite our disagreement whether the OP has or doesn't have heated nozzles, we're actually saying much the same thing. The real issue is probably that the OP is using summer washer fluid during a New England winter.

Modified by Marek K at 5:54 AM 2-4-2010

·
Registered
6,011 Posts

Quote, originally posted by sirswank »
well thanks for the help. here's hoping some "real" stuff won't be diluted by the blue water that's in there now.

The standard blue fluid normally does have some antifreeze properties. But not near enough not to freeze during a "real" winter.
I start adding winter washer fluid in about November, so that by the time it gets really cold there's enough of a concentration in there.
With my older VWs, if I needed to change immediately, the reservoirs were easily accessible -- I could take them off and empty them all at once. That isn't so easy in a Mk5.

·
Registered
25,084 Posts

dude, lay off the frosting.

·
Registered
12,745 Posts

Despite our disagreement whether the OP has or doesn't have heated nozzles, we're actually saying much the same thing. The real issue is probably that the OP is using summer washer fluid during a New England winter.

Sorry, I was being a little bitch, you're absolutely right. I think we agree what the issue is as well.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts

Sorry, I was being a little bitch, you're absolutely right. I think we agree what the issue is as well.

Accepted.
Hey, you can't be a little bitch. Your name is Chad.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.