VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been hit by the failing ignition coil on my passat... I encourage anyone else who has to file a complaint with NHTSA so that we can try and force VW to recall all the defective coils before they leave you stranded.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
You'll need your VIN #. Most people have categorized the complaint under ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION.
Here's what I submitted to try and raise this as a safety concern to get attention:
Ignition Coil failed causing car to mis-fire, lose power, and become shaky,
and MIL light blinks until the coil is replaced. There is a KNOWN DEFECT with
the Ignition Coils in 2001 and 2002 Audi's and VW with a 1.8 Liter Turbo Engine.
VW replaced the one failing coil but refuses to replace, under warranty, the
remain 3 coils that could fail at any moment. With half a million vehicles on the road this is an accident waiting to happen. The sudden loss of power can be extremely dangerous while driving (ie. when making a left turn). VW refuses to commit to replace the DEFECTIVE coils until they fail. Please investigate and have VW perform a recall before someone is seriously injured.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Re: Help get an ignition coil recall (mastromarchi)

VW has already publicly announced there will *not* be any recall. This statement was published in the Jan. 26 edition of the Boston Globe (see link below).
My guess is this will be handled via a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) based on certain VIN numbers.
http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/0...or_failing_ignition_coils_in_Audis_VWs+.shtml

[Modified by E36BMW, 10:31 AM 1-28-2003]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Help get an ignition coil recall (E36BMW)

Yup... saw the article in the Boston Globe. If NHTSA gets enough complaints and deems this a serious problem, they can force VW/Audi to perform a recall. VW claims that this is not a safety issue, which is why they will not issue a recall. I beg to differ about it being a safety issue.
I called up VW and they will not commit to a recall, service bulletin, or any long term solution. What will it take for them to commit to more than a band-aid?

·
Registered
3,743 Posts

The TSB method is not a band-aid. Its merely the quiet (no PR) least costly method of fixing the problem (no mailings to hundreds of thousands of people that must be tracked).

·
Registered
135 Posts

NHTSA can force safety recalls, not recalls for bad parts, etc. that pose no safety issues. Therefore, you must show safety issues on your correspondence with them.
Those with '01 (?) Acura/Honda's with the 6 speed auto tranny may know of the performance issues with that transmission. It was not until one of the suspect trannys locked up on a freeway that NHTSA opened up an investigation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts