VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so yea when i pull the hood release cable the driver side doesnt pop up but the passenger side does.
any way to get my dang hood open?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I had this same problem. There are many suggestions in the search. Here is what I found worked. Take out the grill. I think you pop out the bottom first. Make sure you don't break the top clips. You have to get a coat hanger or long screwdriver and find the pin and pop it. Its really difficult and a real pain in the a$$

·
Banned
896 Posts
Re: (Corrado_Mission)

Mine does this every once in a while and there is nothing wrong with it as far as I can tell, I just have somebody push down a little on the side that is sticking and work the handle one more time. Works for me every time.
Charlie

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Re: (Pinepig)

pull the cable and keep it pulled hit the upper drivers side part of the hood 3 times (the only part of the hood you can really reach while still holding the pull latch)...this may sound like BS, but try it......just make a fist and hit it 3 times pretty hard....

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Re: (Pinepig)

Quote, originally posted by Pinepig »
Mine does this every once in a while and there is nothing wrong with it as far as I can tell, I just have somebody push down a little on the side that is sticking and work the handle one more time. Works for me every time.
Charlie

yup...I've had to do this too. Get the cable properly tensioned after you get it open.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Re: (racaro_kid)

What you should do is buy new hood lach cable guide and the two metal pieces to repair the hood. If you want to run the car during this time, try to open the hood with the front grill removed like said by other vortexers you can use coathanger to pull the metal wire that locks the hood. It's behind the headlights, you have access from the grill. Once the hood open, pull the same metal wire on the driver side ( the hood cable go throught it) and put a wood block to prevent it from closing. Be sure to check in the locking hole that you dont see a pin.
After that, you hood will only close to one side and you will be able to open it until you repair it. The hood is safe even with one lock .
Here the part number for me corrado 1990 g60:
Hood lach cable 536 823 531 $39.66 US
811 823 555 metal stopper 4 $
443 823 597A 8 $ (métal stopper with screw to lock the cable at the end.)
If your hood cable is good condition, maybe you can only change the metal stopper. Check wich one is bad. It's conical shaped and usually it's the one on the driver side that's broken...unfortunatly, this one is pressed to the cable and not serviceable like the other one on the p-side... You can also try someting else to repair... or change everything. not very expensive.
Hope this help !

Modified by oldcorradopower at 6:34 PM 2-16-2004

·
Registered
540 Posts
Re: (oldcorradopower)

Easy fix, just like someone said before, have a friend push down on the stuck side while you pul the latch, get it open and adjust the pin may be out of alignment just a tad. Throw some WD40 on her, mine does it once in a while with a new cable. Good Luck

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (cstan423)

alrgiht got it undone. the push way didnt work so i jsut took the grill apart. thanks for all your help!!

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Re: (T34418L31)

mine does it too. i just shut it when it does it and try it again, usally works on the second try or i give it a little love tap

1 - 10 of 10 Posts