VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I was driving today and almost got intoo an accident because my horn wont work....I just bought the car and havent gotten around to fixing it yet.
I checked the fuses: OK
Checked the wiring in the steering wheel: OK
Just bought a brand new battery: OK
When the ignition is OFF and I press on the horn, I hear nothing
When the ignition is ON I hear clicking, but no sound.
Can anyone help me please ?
Thank you very much from a newbie at DIYO stuff

My Golf ? 92, manual, no air, no power anything, 2 door, simple...simple....simple !

[Modified by JF, 10:38 AM 4-7-2002]

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Re: Help !!! Horn wont work (JF)

When you say cliking, do mean like the switch or the horn relay? Check your relay and if that doesn't work and you check everything you listed, jump the horn itself directly and see if it works. If not, get a new horn!

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Help !!! Horn wont work (John16v)

Thanks John... I am looking in my Bentley for the relay, but can't seem to find it...must be blind or sleepy
Where can I find the relqy and how can I test it ? Also, how can I jump on the horn directly and test it ?
Sowwy for the newbie questions....But being onebrings it upon me !

·
Registered
3,313 Posts

i dont think the horn works when the car is off... atleast it doesnt on all of the a2's i've come into contact with

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Help !!! Horn wont work (Jerelin7686)

Well...Rechecked everything..turns out the fuse was blown
However it is a 10 AMP that keeps blowing when I horn....I put in a 30 amp which fixed the problem momentarily. Anyone could help me figure out the cause of this blowing (How do I check this out ?)
Thanks,
J-F

·
Registered
1,448 Posts

Yeah you can jump the horn directly from your battery to see if it works. I can't remember by heart the fuse amp for the horn circuit but putting a fuse with more amp isn't such a good thing, your circuit will have time to fry before the fuse blows if it's too big. If your good amp fuse blows all the time, you have a short circuit somewhere draining power. Check for skinned wires and such.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Help !!! Horn wont work (Jerelin7686)

Nah, it wont work when off....isnt supposed to though ! (I dont think)...I guess I have a short...wondering where and how to find it ? Also, where is the ground for the horn ?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Nah, it wont work when off....isnt supposed to though ! (I dont think[HR][/HR]​
You're right, a horn on an A2 isn't supposed to work when the key in the ignition switch isn't ON.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.