VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21,252 Posts
Re: help, how do you install a cam shaft (candy_vw)

Quote, originally posted by candy_vw »
Can this be done by someone who knows little about engines but can follow instructions?

Yes. Ive done it over a half dozen times.....will do it again next week. If your mechanically inclined, it'll take you about an hour. If not, about 2. Takes me 50 minutes start to finish. Get a bently, or go on Autotechs site and download the instructions. http://www.autotech.com/instructions/i1091093.pdf These engines a so awesome to work on. Good luck.

Modified by tdogg74 at 1:44 PM 7-2-2003

·
Registered
12,106 Posts
Re: help, how do you install a cam shaft (tdogg74)

Suggest you take a peek at a Bentley manual B4 doin this ...you can screw up the bearings if you don't do it right re keeping bearing caps in line/torque cap nuts in proper sequence! Our library has Bentley manual....and a Xerox machine. Of course I'd never suggest bringing the two together...but others have! Camshaft proceedure is only a few [email protected] 10 cents a copy....but then I'd never copy a book!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Re: help, how do you install a cam shaft (spitpilot)

Bearing caps should be numbered, so you're ok there. Use search to get torque specs. Impact tools would be good to have unless the cam you're changing to has a sprocket on it.
Bentley if you're not poor like me.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Re: help, how do you install a cam shaft (optikNurve)

Yes, tightening bolts to the proper torque is critical for engine life. The bentley manual has all the torque specifications for each bolt.
My camshaft retainers weren't numbered, but the #1 one is unique. It is important to take them off and put them on in the proper sequence. Don't mix and match them, and make note of which way they go on before you take them off. I believe there's a depression on the front side of the cam retainers (the side facing you), so you'll know which way they go on.
Don't be afraid to be very anal about TDC position. Check it a bunch of times as you're putting it back together.
The bentley has good directions for all of this. If you plan to work on your vw, it's the best investment you can make.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Re: help, how do you install a cam shaft (PainDaynus)

bump for idiots liek me that can make exhautss, short runner intakes, but cant change a cam or headgasket LOL im ass backwards

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Re: help, how do you install a cam shaft (D Wiz)

Yea after you do it turn the engine over by hand 2-4 time and make sure its on TDC and then check if the cam is TDC. It takes me about 30 min to do a cam.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Re: help, how do you install a cam shaft (gtibunny8v)

When I did mine I didn't worry about TDC. Just left it in gear with brake on. Looked carefully at the old cam, put the new cam in with the lobes set the same way. No problems.

·
Banned
5,765 Posts
Re: help, how do you install a cam shaft (A3Infidel)

Quote, originally posted by A3Infidel »
When I did mine I didn't worry about TDC. Just left it in gear with brake on. Looked carefully at the old cam, put the new cam in with the lobes set the same way. No problems.

...and folks this is how you screw up cam and ignition timing. If you don like the possibility of a bent valve, dont do the cam install this way.
Leaving it in gear is bad, if the car rolled (even a 1/4") it will move the crank by a couple teeth.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Re: help, how do you install a cam shaft (GTibunny16v)

To be honest camming does intimidate me but only because of the horror stories I've read in these forums
It seems that more often than not,people mess this mod up when they attempt to do it themselves
,(engine lopes like crazy).

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Re: help, how do you install a cam shaft (gtibunny8v)

Quote, originally posted by gtibunny8v »
Yea after you do it turn the engine over by hand 2-4 time and make sure its on TDC and then check if the cam is TDC. It takes me about 30 min to do a cam.

Very true... gtibunny8v did my cam in just under 25 min. awesome job!!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
5,765 Posts
Re: help, how do you install a cam shaft (94jedi)

Quote, originally posted by 94jedi »

Very true... gtibunny8v did my cam in just under 25 min. awesome job!!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Cams are easy. We can do 8v head gaskets in 1 1/2 hours... as long as the exhaust manifold nuts come off easy.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts

Agreed, I probably got lucky. I made quite a mess of things when I tried to do the TDC thing and line up all of my marks.
Gtibunny, what's the easiest way to fix a bad gasket on the intermediate shaft? Too bad your not closer I could use a headgasket too.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts

Quote, originally posted by GTibunny16v »

Cams are easy. We can do 8v head gaskets in 1 1/2 hours... as long as the exhaust manifold nuts come off easy.

where in CT. do you live??if I ever get a cam/flywheel maybe you could help me install it??

·
Banned
5,765 Posts
Re: help, how do you install a cam shaft (A3Infidel)

I lock the intermediate gear with a prybar and break the bolt loose with a breaker bar. The gear just slides off and the seal housing is bolted on with 2 13mm bolts.
You must first remove the 4, 6mm allen bolts to take off the crank pulley (ribbed pulley), belt tensioner pulley (13mm bolt), timing belt covers, timing belt. While you're in there replace the cam, intermediate, front crank seal at the same time. They are all the same seal. The crank gear (for timing belt) is held on by a 19mm 12point bolt. You need a good impact gun to remove it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts