VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Anybody have a picture or a link to a drawing of how the Trunk list/gas cap switch and bezel go together? I replaced the window regulator on my 98 this weekend and pulled this bezel/switch assembly apart. I think I have all the parts for it, but can't seem to get it back together so that it works right. Hate to buy a new one if I don't have to.
I don't think I lost any of it, but it seems like there should be a spring or something in there.
I took it to the dealer parts counter to see if I could get them to let me look at a picture. He took it back and one of the techs put it back together for me, but it still doesn't work. I can't believe that I broke the switches by just pulling them out of the bezel accidentally, but I'll have to assume that if I can't figure out how to put it together so that it works.
Has anyone else taken apart and put this assembly back together again?
Thanks for your help!
Brent

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Re: Help! How do you reassemble the trunk/gas cap switch bezel? (red982.0)

It's been a while since I took my door apart on my '03 NBC, but I dimly remember there is a thin red (your color may vary) round plastic rod about a half-inch long that has to be in the switch for the gas cap to open. It's about as thich (or less) as a pencil lead. Unless that little rod is in there, the rocker switch does not activate the gas cap release.
Look at the switch and see if my admittedly woozy memory is right... if the rod is missing (I found mine had rolled to the exact geographical center of my car, so I had to back up the SOB to find it) find something else that will do the job, I imagine nearly any non-conducting (don't use a paper clip, for example) rod of the right diameter (not so thick that it won't move freely) will work... model car plastic frames, etc. etc. Look for a small hole in the back of the rocker, that's where it goes...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fixed! How do you reassemble the trunk/gas cap switch bezel?

Well I fixed it, and feel pretty stupid for having missed it the first time. I had been working in my garage and it just wasn't light enough to see that the the toggle snaps into the switch, not into the bezel. Doh! When I got it apart in the sunlight, voila!
Thanks for everyone's help.
Brent

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.