VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
howdy.
my coolant system recently sprung a leak, and ive identified where it is, but i dont know what part to order, exactly. i have pictures if this helps at all.

this picture circles the part where the leak is. its a plastic piece that has two large hoses coming out of it, and one or two small hoses, one of which goes to the oil filter mount. also, there is a plug for a cable or sensor. the red circle is around the part that is leaking, of course.

this photo is a further away shot from the area. you can tell i have a leak by how gunked up it has become in recent days. the red arrow in the upper right is pointing to the part.

this is a 2.slow jetta engine, automatic trans. i know my way around air cooled engines fairly well now, but not so much the 2.0L. i would certainly appreciate any help you fellas could toss my way as far as identifying this part.

regards,
Aaron

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
its called the side coolant flange, you need to order the flange and flange o-ring and a sensor o ring for when you switch the sensor to the new oring

·
Registered
72 Posts
Re: (cactu4r)

Is the thermostat within this flange? I have sprung a leak myself (2.0L as well) and will need to replace this side coolant flange. Was just wondering if I should get a thermostat as well if its within this piece.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Re: (Chuckadian)

thanks! Actually I am looking to get some parts to fix a leak somewhere in this area. Are there any other parts I should get besides the Side coolant flange (and flange and sensor o-rings)? I can't tell exactly where the leak is coming from, but coolant is built up similar to cactu4r's pics above. Anything other parts that could need replacing?

·
Registered
11,832 Posts
Re: (acheong)

That flange is a common problem. My dad's 2.0L was leaking there as well, specifically where the flange meets the head. Overtime from exposure to heat, the plastic begins to warp or crack, causing it to leak.
I replaced it with a flange from ECS, and it's beginning to leak again already!

·
Registered
25,085 Posts

You need all 4 parts listed on this page: http://www.germanautoparts.com...17/12
Water neck (the part you are asking about)
O-ring, between head and water neck
O-ring, between water neck and temp sensor (CTS)
clip, holds CTS in place (semi optional, likely can use your current one but better safe than sorry and get it)
You can swap your CTS at the same time, but not required. Other than that the clamps and bolts can be reused.

·
Registered
72 Posts

update: the side coolant flange was brittle and cracked while trying to take it off ... was definitely leaking from here. replaced sensor gasket as well (flange came with its own gasket to connect to block) and all is good now.
I have changed 3 plastic pieces from the coolant system this year, which have all seemed to develop a leak at about the same time (car is almost 9 years old). I believe there is one more large piece (not sure of name) in lower part of engine that I should change.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts