VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as stated, I picked up a 10" Bazooka tube real cheap from a friend, and I need some guidence installing it in my MKIV Golf with a Monsoon system.
I would like to get it in tonight to better enjoy the tunes on the way to Waterfest

· Registered
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: HELP installing self-powered bazooka with a monsoon (GTIdaho)

Quote, originally posted by GTIdaho »
Read the sticky thread at the top of the forum????

I would if I could. I am stuck using dial up and the page freezes while trying to load. I've tried it three times and it won't open.
I remember reading a while back on here exactly how to do this and it seemed pretty straight forward, I just can't find that post.

· Registered
4,352 Posts
Re: HELP installing self-powered bazooka with a monsoon (20VDUB)

That is the post. you want.
You only need the first page really. It may take a long time to load because of the pics. Anyway here is the post I had on there about the connections:
1) The color codes vary on the harness depending on model year apparently but the pin numbers don't. Anyway anyone doing this you should just go by the pin numbers in the plug.
Here are the pin codes for all the plugs on the Monsoon amp. Someone with a bentley manual should check these and let me know if anything is incorrect. I got these off another post a long time ago:
Green Amp Connector (Output to speakers, Not recommended you tap these, They are crossed over in the amp)
1 + LR Woofer
2 - LR Woofer
3 + RR Woofer
4 - RR Woofer
5 +LR Tweet
6 - LR Tweet
7 + RR Tweet
8 - RR Tweet
9 +LF Tweet
10 - RF Tweet
11 - LF Tweet
12 + RF Tweet
13 - LF Woofer
14 + LF Woofer
15 - RF Woofer
16 +RF Woofer
Gray Amp connector (Speaker level Input from HU) Most people tap the rear lines for Subs.
14 +LR
15 - LR
17 - RR
18 +RR
20 +LF
21 - LF
23 + RF
24 - RF
2) Amps or sub/amp combos like Basslink that have speaker level inputs dont need the line converter, you can just tap the speaker level wires in the gray plug and feed them to the speaker level inputs on the amp. Some may also not require the remote turnon lead because like the Monsoon amp they turn on automatically when a signal appears at the input.

3) Remote turnon: It may be a good idea to use a relay instead of powering the additional amp turnon directly from the cd changer harness. One guy accidentally shorted the wire and blew the turon circuit in his HU which would be a bummer.
A relay is simple to do: Get a 30 amp automotive relay. Hook it up in the following manner:
Relay coil A :Gray changer wire
Relay Coil B: Ground (I took it right from the - terminal on my subwoofer amp.)
Relay Common: +12V (I took it right from the + terminal on my subwoofer amp.)
Relay N.O. Terminal: Amp turnon terminal.
You dont have to do this... I just had the parts and it seemed like a wise thing to do.

4) An FYI: The grommet in the firewall is where the accelerator cable would normally be. Some of the 2.0s and other cars may still have an accelerator cable there. In that case you would need to find another place to get the wire through the firewall. All the cars with electronic throttles will have the plug although it might be hard to locate because of the insulation on both sides of the firewall..

· Registered
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thank you.
can't the power be tapped into from the power lead going to the amp instead of running a seperate wire to the battery itself?

· Registered
4,352 Posts
Re: HELP installing self-powered bazooka with a monsoon (20VDUB)

Not a good idea. It will work but you run the risk of blowing fuses that way. Best to run a new wire.
I did have a friend with a Jetta and he didnt want to take the car apart to run the wire inside so he got the wire and the plastic wireloom stuff and just ran it from a body hole under the seat up to the battery by zip tieing it to the brake lines under the car. Looked clean and took about 4 hours less then when I did mine on the inside...

· Registered
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

ha, that sounds like a pretty good idea. I guess I should just suck it up and do it right the first time so as to not screw anything up and prepae the car for when I have the money to replace the Bazooka with something a little better.
Thanks for your help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.