VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered from ECStuning a set of H&R race springs and Bilstein shocks and struts. The only time i've install suspension on a car was on my MK2, which is completely different than my A4. I was wondering what all is involved and how difficult (or not difficult) a task it is. I was told that you must drop the control arms to properly do the installation.
Any information would be great.
Also, if anyone in the area would be interested in helping me next week that would be siiiick.
peace

·
Registered
735 Posts
Re: HELP installing springs/shocks/struts (AHarmes5)

i know the front bolts up to the lower front control arm, the two front upper control arms have to come out of the steering knuckle so you can get the entire assembly out, theres three bolts up top holding the strut in place....
after all that ish is done, the whole assembly comes out, you need to get new strut mounts, if they dont come with it anyway...bump stops would be cool too to keep the dust out...
you also need a spring compressor, and air tools would be a GREAT help for you...
install is the reverse of removal...and thats just the front...havent messed with the rear suspension yet, but im sure its along the same lines...where is Ephrata?...im in York.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sounds like it's going to be a lot more involved than my '87 jetta haha
to get to ephrata you would take 30 east to 222 north. ephrata is an exit off of 222. it's about a half an hour, give or take ten minutes.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Re: (AHarmes5)

plan on a nice 4-6 hours if it's your first time.
there is a really good writeup on audiworld. just go in the tech section, then suspension. You'll see it.
the front suspension has 5 bolts, the rear has 6 i think.
then some more little guys on the strut assembly thingy
i've had mine on/off probably 4 times in a year now, so it's a piece of cake
spring compressor is a must, air tools would make the job faster..

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
wicked easy job...I think the only issue you might have is getting the bolt off the top of the shock assembly. if you use an impact gun, it will shake it loose, other than that it is very straight forward with some clear instructions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.