VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to change my driver's side tail light today (it's been burnt out since I bought the car in January) and noticed a wire clip was unplugged. I figured that it might just be that, so I plugged it in and turned the car on. First thing I noticed was that the hatch open light was on on my cluster when it wasn't on before. Now, interesting part is the hatch button in the glove box has never opened the hatch. It makes the noises, but it doesn't pop open or unlatch it so far as I can tell. It latches properly and has never opened on the road or anything, so it's definitely not open. Now for the weird part, I drove around for a bit before unplugging the wires I had plugged in and when I turned my right signal light on, the hatch open light alternated on and off with the signal arrow on my cluster. When the arrow was on, the hatch light was off, and vise versa. Anybody wanna give me any idea how I can go about fixing this or what the issue may even be? Also, it didn't fix the tail light, I still had to put a new bulb in.

· Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (vee_rub)

If it's a shared ground, why does the hatch open light not flash when I signal left (the plug is in the back of the left taillight) and only when I signal right? I'm not trying to say you're wrong, I'm just wondering how that would affect it seeing as how both taillights are grounded seperately.
EDIT: More importantly, how do I go about testing that theory and fixing it if that is the issue?

Modified by tylergreenwood at 10:10 PM 3-18-2008

· Registered
10,566 Posts
Re: (tylergreenwood)

Quote, originally posted by tylergreenwood »
I'm not trying to say you're wrong, I'm just wondering how that would affect it seeing as how both taillights are grounded seperately.

it's a volkswagen. it dosen't need to follow the fundamental laws of electricy.

More importantly, how do I go about testing that theory and fixing it if that is the issue?

start tracing wires

· Registered
10,566 Posts
Re: (tylergreenwood)

Awesome. Any easy way to fix the hatch opener?

i bet one of the wires is cut.

Modified by 4690 at 11:00 PM 3-18-2008

· Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (dstockbridge)

Seems normal for the CL's. I've seen a few of them at the pick a part and they're all in the glove box. Very few of them have the full center console with the cup holder, ash tray and compartment. I've got all the holes for them, but no actual pieces.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.