VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so i took off my ISV last night, sprayed it out with carb cleaner, and put it back on. Started the car,,, Ran like crap, found that the plug wire that you have to put the end on, had pulled off. SOO in the process of trying to get that off, busted the end, and the button in the middle of the inside of the distributer. So i replaced both and STILL WONT RUN?? whats goin on?
What is the firing order? could i have messed up the wires? i have it right now going 1342 i believe, whatever the haynes says. WHat is the correct wiring?
What else could be screwin with me?

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Re: HELP Jetta Wont Start! (Hotrodjrod)

Dude, learn to wait more than 20 minutes, most of the folks here only passed out a couple hours ago.

Now, what's the ISV got to do with the distributor? calm down, and take your time. The ISV needs to be in place to run because otherwise you'll have an intake leak. It doesn't actually need to be electrically plugged in however (though it helps).
Now, the hall sender connection on the distributor is critical to the operation of your engine. Without it, the engine will not start or run. Are you talking about that, or did you actually pull the distributor cap off and mess with the rotor? What happened, and how did you fix it?
Explain the problem clearly, and give people a chance to wake up, and folks here will be happy to help.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: HELP Jetta Wont Start! (negativl)

The distributer doesnt have anything to do with the ISV< but in the process of removing/replacing it, I ended up breaking the little center button that is in the middle of the Distributer cap. BUt i got a whole new cap and rotorbutton from advanced auto.
Im in ohio, so ive been up for like 10 hours man!

So what is this hall sender? where is it at?
Is that the little circular piece that one of the plug wires has to run thru and then put the end on that goes to the distributer? Does it have to be on a certain wire?

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Re: HELP Jetta Wont Start! (Hotrodjrod)

It was only 10 in the morning here when you posted.
Besides, 20 minutes isn't even enough time for people to have had a chance to read it. If the post hasn't dropped to the bottom of the first page, there probably just aren't enough people around reading to have seen it yet, so you might as well just wait.

Anyway, no, the hall sender is the small 2 wire plug that goes into the side of the distrbutor. Don't break that off or you'll be replacing the whole distributor. Has nothing to do with the regular plug wires. Not sure which circular piece you mean, other than the center hole that's for the coil wire.
Still not sure what you mean by button, either. Anyway, you know the mark that indicates cylinder 1/TDC on the distributor so the cap/wires are lined up correctly with that?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: HELP Jetta Wont Start! (negativl)

Got it all fixed. The dang Haynes manual says the number 1 wire should go on the bottom left of the dist. cap. and then 3,4,2 counterclockwise. WELL this is TOTALLY wrong! It actually starts on the top Left of the dist. cap. so basically my firing order was all fudged up. Sorry for getting so anxious, i just was pissed, and worried, Plus i didnt get to race yesterday, and it got me all in a tizzy!

Thanks for the help though!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts