VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AARRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! Can anyone give me any advice on how to PROPERLY install pistons back into my block?!?!? I've been rebuilding my engine and today I was tring to reinstall the pistons after giving them new rings. I used ring pliers to put the rings on the pistons, and got a ring compressor sleve to install the pistons. The problem seems to be the slight angle that the cylinders tilt. The compressor is obviously designed for dropping pistons straight down. I got the 1st one in with only a little trouble, but then either the sleve would get wedged between the piston & cylinder, or one side would creep up and let a ring pop out. I was doing the job with a friends' help, and we were trying to be really careful, but we ended up breaking 2 rings!!!! Is there a special compressor sleve designed for cylinders on an angle, or some kind of trick to make things easier?? At this rate, I'm going to spend a fortune buying friggin' rings!!!! I just want to get this thing back together and on the road again!!!! Has anyone out there experienced similiar frustration??? HELP!!!!! Thanks

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Re: HELP!!! Keep breaking piston rings trying to install!!! Any advice,tips, tricks??? (rollovr6)

You can get the oem one from the dealer, if your nice they might rent it to ya. Or you can do what I did i took the plier type compresser and ground it down to the 7.5deg angle that the pistons go in at.

Modified by mikebobelak at 8:07 AM 5-18-2004

·
Forum Elder
14,567 Posts
Re: HELP!!! Keep breaking piston rings trying to install!!! Any advice,tips, tricks??? (rollovr6)

I have individual OE ring sets if you need them...I had to buy a whole set of six when I snapped some as well.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I do need two sets since I broke the oil-scraper ring on two of the pistons. I'm in Paol Alto, but I may have them shipped to San Carlos, CA ( That's where my car is, at my Dad's house) Let me know how much you want for them. My machine shop guy got me OEM sets for $33.95 ea, If you can give 'em to me for less, I'll take 'em!! Thanks for the reply! -Ryan my e-mail is [email protected] drop me a line ASAP

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: HELP!!! Keep breaking piston rings trying to install!!! Any advice,tips, tricks??? (mikebobelak)

I thought about trying that. Your compressor looks a bit different than mine, mine is a ratcheting type compressor. It looks like yours is only as big as the piston, mine is like a similiar sized strip of metal but it wraps around the piston more than one time around. It 's probably more like 1 1/2 times around the piston and it has a ratcheting mechanism that you turn with an allen type wrench. Does that make sense? What I was thinking about trying was to tighten it around the top of a piston, with the piston upside down and sticking out the
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif top of the sleve, then grinding down the bottom (which would be empty). Does THAT make any sense??? Sorry for the lame descriptions, and I really appreciate you taking the time to not only reply, but actually send pics!!! Right on man!! I'll see if I can modify my compressor, or if I have a problem maybe I'll just go fin one like yours. Someone else sent me info on a VW "Special tool" that I can get, but it's $60 bucks, so I want to try another route before I go and get it. However, I'f I don't figure out how to stop breaking rings, I'll spend alot more than $60 buying new sets!!! Thanks again & wish me luck! Cheers!

·
Registered
3,269 Posts

How are you breaking rings? Are you slamming the pistons in with a hammer? Why don't you just dip the piston(with rings on) into a coffee can full of oil, it usually helps when installing the pistons.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts

The problem with the wrap around type is ,you have to get it to line up every time,I tried it and gave up. I had access to the factory tool ,but I was installing 84.5mm pistons,and there was NO WAY they would fit .
Also the ring gaps need to be set 120deg apart,so make sure the gaps are set to go into the bores on the low side ,this will make it less likley to catch the ends and bust em.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts