VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to do hids or led bulbs on my ecodes and fogs. I've searched but haven't found anything I'm looking for.

For the headlights I want both high/low beam areas in the lights to actually work. The only kit I find is the one with the single bulbs so ill only be able to use the low beam or high beam side. I know ill never need the high beam side again but it woul be nice to have them

Fog lights I did find a good setup for these but I'd rather get led bulbs because they won't blind everyone coming at me.

Reason for doing this is because I have read that the stock setup gives off alot of heat and causes the fogs to crack. I wanna do the fogs but I have to match the headlights or it will look funny.

Please help me out.

·
Registered
12,623 Posts
Stock bulbs won't crack the fog light lenses. Its when people put higher wattage bulbs than what's suppose to be in there and they create too much heat and crack the lenses. They are fog lights and they are intended to only light up the road directly in front of the car. There is no reason to install HID's in them unless you are looking to annoy oncoming drivers. Don't worry about it looking funny. Its going to blind people so they won't be able to see it anyways...

Why do you want HID's in your high beams? If you run HID's in your low beam you will never need your high beams. Low beams have enough scatter you will be able to see plenty. My Ecodes are aimed way down and they light up parts of the road I don't even need to see.

I don't believe they make a HID bulb that will fit the inner high beam lens. You can get bi-xenon bulbs for the main bulbs.

·
Registered
125 Posts
LEDs for the fogs or headlights are not going to put out much light unless you get into some expensive custom system.

HID bulbs in the fogs or headlights are going to put out allot of glare to oncoming traffic.

The best thing to do is over wattage bulbs and a beefy relay harness. 80/100w and 100w.

If you really want HID, I do have a new set of new high end 4300k BiXenon H4 bulbs with glare shields for the Hi/Low I was going to put in my truck, but never used.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any led bulbs work? I have a relayed headlight harness. I don't mind not having tons of light coming from the fogs. I just don't wanna crack them. LEDs and hides give off very little heat.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Product-Categories/HID-Kits-Lighting/HID-Kits

DDM tuning has nice hid kits. I also went with a set that has both Hi/LO beam. Its better for inspection;) but otherwise thats it. I never have to use my high beams and mine are in NA lights. personally I'd get 55w for the headlights and 35w in the fogs. Thats how mine is setup. I dont know if oncoming traffic can see, but I sure know I can :laugh: I have passed several cops and also followed one for a couple miles and havent gotten pulled over yet:beer:

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have run 55w halogens in my fogs for 23 years and have not had them crack. I have seen many cracked lenses though. LEDs run pretty cool and shouldn't blind oncoming traffic...

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In 1999 hella recalled 1992-93-94-95 fog lights because they have defective lenses. The g60 lenses are nice I never had a broken or cracked set. I have 2 sets of those. I was considering taking off those lenses and fitting them on a set of Slc so you still have the oem hella look.

I'm just going to relay the harnesses, run h3 led bulbs in the fogs, h4 LEDs in the ecodes.

·
Registered
12,623 Posts
If you're going to run LED bulbs the relayed harness is going to be pointless. The only set up that really needs relays are Halogen bulbs. LED's and HID ballasts do not need a lot of power to work unlike Halogen. One reason car manufacturers are switching over to LED's is because they need so little power to work thus eliminating the need for heavier gauge wire and stronger alternators.

I'm planning to remove my HID's soon and replace them with Sylvania Silverstar Halogen bulbs. HID's have so much scatter when installed in Halogen lenses and after dealing with other drivers out here with them I feel like an a$$ having them in Ecodes. Unless HID's are installed in proper housings/projectors its pretty obnoxious.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's good. Less work for me now. I don't think I'm going to run hids, I'd rather have crappy headlights and have the other driver see. If I ha the hids and they blinded the oncoming traffic causing them to swerve or something I basically just screwed myself.

I'm just running LEDs.

Do they make LEDs that will fit the turn signals?

·
Registered
125 Posts
That's good. Less work for me now. I don't think I'm going to run hids, I'd rather have crappy headlights and have the other driver see. If I ha the hids and they blinded the oncoming traffic causing them to swerve or something I basically just screwed myself.

I'm just running LEDs.

Do they make LEDs that will fit the turn signals?
The ecodes running 80/100w low/high and 100w high are not crappy headlights. That's 400w on high and brighter and go farther than the factory bi-xenon hids in my 2007 Z4 BMW.

Run the 80/100/100 Halogen and then when someone is coming toward you with their illegal glaring HID bulbs in reflector housings, you can flash them with 400 watts of Halogen brightness.

I did a true HID retrofit with bi-xenon projectors in my truck with 4x6 sealed beams and it made a huge difference.

You can get led turns but most will not be as bright as the standard bulb.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts