VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Re: help locating a specialty tool (veedubbin)

I recall a thread quite a while ago (no link, sorry) that suggetsed using a standard U-clamp for the procedure.
Get a muffler clamp (the U shaped one), flip the metal bar piece around, and put it back on OVER the nuts. The idea is (as this isn't the clearest description ever)...the curve of the U sits against one side of the C-Clamp. The U that is formed by the bar-part sits against the other end of the C-Clamp. Turning the nuts pushes the bar up against the C-Clamp and spreads it so it can be removed/installed.
metal bar -> ]:ë <-nuts, then U-clamp part.
Hopefully that helps.
CF
(crap, the part that renders as an 'e' should be a 'u' laying on its side...ah well.)

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Re: help locating a specialty tool (CrackFraggle)

http://www.zelenda.com/ usually have them. I didn't see it on the site, but a phone call should answer the question. The clamps on the toilet bowl mani are a real mother to do without this, so try to have the tool before you tear into it. The other solution, of course, would be to get a Corrado or Euro mani and downpipe setup. A little more power, and a lot better throttle response, plus you won't have this problem again.
HTH

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Re: help locating a specialty tool (ABA Scirocco)

A used dual-outlet mani and downpipe are proably cheaper than the spreader tool (at least the cool one).
Just use a prybar to fling them off, turn your head though!

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Re: help locating a specialty tool (veedubbin)

Worked for me, then I bought a cheap Eurosport race header.
it was the cheapest one I could find, but it's lasted 4 years and 2 cars with no troubles at all. The chrome is still shiny.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts